Is the Q702 N-Trig 4 stylus as good as a Wacom?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Rommie2k6, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

As above, is the Q702 N-Trig 4.0 stylus as good as a Wacom? Good palm rejection? No random vectoring?

2. farrugiamaths

farrugiamaths Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love some feedback on the N-Trig G4 Duosense pen as well. I am seriously considering buying a Fujitsu Stylistic Q702 and I'm going to use the pen a lot. I don't need the pen to draw art, just for handwriting and the occasional mathematical diagram.

I would be grateful if someone having experience with the pen would leave some feedback. Thanks.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I would love some feedback on the N-Trig G4 Duosense pen...>>

...I can't speak to the Q702, but I've used the Generation 4 N-trig pen that comes with the Sony Duo 11 and I was very impressed with it. To put this into perspective, I've owned or used every generation of N-trig pen since it first debuted on the Dell Latitude XT. The pen still uses a battery, but compared to the Gen 3.0 /3.5 pens, the mechanical linkage has been tightened and (maybe) damped so that the pen is no longer as "clanky" while you are inking. It's not completely quiet but it's a very big step forward. Subjectively, it seemed like the new pen requires just a bit more pressure on the nib before it starts inking (as compared to a Wacom pen). Other than that, inking was smooth and reliable and pressure worked smoothly. Alignment of the tip of the nib with the onscreen cursor appeared to be OK although I did not pay any special attention to the edges / corners. (However, if the cursor had been significantly misaligned with the nib I think I would have noticed.) As a pen for writing and drawing, I think that the N-trig pen should be perfectly suitable...

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I've heard users say Ntrig is less plagued by the "edge" problem than Wacom, with slightly better out-of-the-box calibration.
    I'm pretty sure the bulk of issues comes down to drivers, and which programs you need to use. Adobe and Ntrig don't play well.

Does anyone know if wacom have an agreement with Corel and Adobe too keep their market dominance??

5. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've always had Wacom in all my devices from my Thinkpad Tablet PC's to my Samsung Series 7 Slate, with one exception, I once had an N-Trig device, and I enjoyed the Wacom much better. But was always disappointed with the "edge" problem which all my devices had in varying degrees. My Sony Duo 11 has the generation 4 N-Trig and I have to say while I was originally nervous about buying it for this reason, I've been quite impressed. And really pleased that it does not have the same "edge" problem.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Rommie2k6

So does the Q702 uses a Gen 3.5 or Gen 4 N-trig stylus?

7. phinphan

phinphan Pen Pal - Newbie

The new stylus has two buttons, one for erase and one for select (at least in Onenote) and older stylus's for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet and HTC View work fine just with one button. The newer stylus has a much nicer feel on the screen and kinds of drags across like paper. It is very slick. Not quite as nice as my Galaxy Note 10.1 with the Cross Stylus but pretty close. Certainly good enough to take notes all day.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...does the Q702 uses a Gen 3.5 or Gen 4 N-trig stylus?..>>

...Gen 3.5 and Gen 4 refer to the digitizer hardware, not (particularly) the stylus. To the best of my knowledge, the current crop of tablets utilizes the full Gen 4 N-trig technology. The stylus has simply been updated along the way. You probably asking if this is the current version of hardware and software? It is...

9. Rommie2k6

Finally, got a Q702, but I am returning it. The N-Trig stylus is really terrible. There was no vectoring/skipping/lag though, so in some sense it's an improvement. However, it requires alot of pressure to write, and because of that sometimes the words do not come out. Definitely a no go, if you have used a Wacom stylus before.

10. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

Have you tried recalibrating it? I've had no concerns with it requiring too much pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.