Is the M400 really that bad??

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by wermerskoch, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wermerskoch

wermerskoch Pen Pal - Newbie

I was seriously considering buying one, until I read some of the posts about people having problems with them on here. Some of the problems seem to be somewhat common, too, such as dust under the screen cover, unresponsive keyboard, random BSODs in vista, etc... Is it really that bad? Or am I just reading the bad posts? I thought Toshiba's were good tablets! Come on M400 owners, speak up! ;)

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would really love to say what you hear and read is rubbish and take no notice.
    I've even got one up at the Office on the Farm.

However, truth be told, Tosh are not the same company I found them years ago.
    They've grown so much and diversified that many times they have lost their personal touch and identity.

In an area where dog eats dog they have had to make sacrifices and cuts to enable them to compete.
    The loss though is in bad Customer Service and Tech Support.
    Their machines are not on the same par as the great Tosh I know and loved.

I want them to do so well... honestly I do but take a look at their cut price Laptops with so many cheap and inferior parts..... It's simply not the way to go.

Personally I would rather spend extra on a more expensive top dollar piece of kit that not only performs but has the strength to look after you should a problem arise.

3. wermerskoch

wermerskoch Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the input. I believe I have been successfully steered away from the M400. Sad, it looked really nice. :(

Warner

4. stinkyfuture

stinkyfuture Pen Pal - Newbie

Find my post where i go off on the m400. Run for the hills! After i'm done using this thing for a freelance job i'm gonna sell it to some sap. Maybe the Asus R1F is the way to go? Doesn't look as clunky as the tosh, has a widescreen and bigger screensize (13.3 opposed to the toshiba's tiny 12), plus wacom technology i believe (the problem with most of these tablets is they don't have wacom and i use this tablet for drawing). Or if you really feel daring get a Modbook! I'd like to see one in person before i'd buy it though.

5. PR.

PR. Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, had mine for about 2 months now, use it every day and I've not had any problems with it.

Ok, I've had a couple of BSOD when using Virtual PC and occasionally when going from Laptop to Tablet mode the wireless drops and won't reconnect until I disable/enable the connection. Beyond that it has been fine.

You can read my original review of the M400 here :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Dubdub

Dubdub Gadget Freak

I have had mine since mid-December. Love it. No problems at all. My guess is, like many other forums, you only hear much about the bad and only very very little of the good.

According to the ratings, the M400 is one of the best.

7. stinkyfuture

stinkyfuture Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wondering what you guys use it for?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. PR.

PR. Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm an IT admin so it sees work such as:

• Web browsing
    • Outlook 2007
    • Word/Excel/Visio 2007 work
    • Sharepoint Designer 2007 work
    • Cisco VPN use
    • Remote Controlling servers
    • Virtual PC usage
    • Meeting Notes in OneNote 2007
    • MCSE Study
    • Listen to Music via iTunes and WMP11
    • Watch DVDs and other Videos
    • Occasional game of Solitaire ;)

9. kensei

kensei Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually when I picked up an M400 to test it, I found it very good, even compared to the M7. but it was not a widescreen and not as powerful. Still, if you are a business professional or a student, it is more than enough, and very solid. It has stayed in the top ten for a long time for a reason.

10. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the M400 for over a year now and after all the problems I had with the system and the service, I still love it, its light and its well build. Great for skype etc.

If you look for posts by me you will see all the problems I had to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.