Is the future for EMR equipped devices squarely on Samsung's shoulders?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shogmaster, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes I know that Acer still makes EMR devices as well as others occasionally. But in the mainstream, only Samsung provides EMR to the masses at affordable prices anymore. Wacom only sells "pro" EMR skus. Acer is only educational market or high end. If you are an EMR fan, your choices are very limited.

And even for Samsung, the focus is squarely on Android, not Windows. Their Windows EMR 2in1s are a bit half assed in execution. 12GB RAM for top end device feels like slap in the face. And if it wasn't for Clip Studio Paint coming to Samsung Android, I'd be super depressed right now.

So I am about to spend almost a grand on an Android tablet, hoping that 8GB of RAM on Android is enough to do what I need. Future is obviously ARM based mobile devices, not Intel or AMD. I need to experience proper Android EMR device to get ready for the future I think. At least I know that SD855/865 is more than fast enough for CSP. I guess I will end up going where EMR does...

DRTigerlilly and stoneseeker like this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Surprised to hear your Notebook 9 pro not doing it for you these days... I agree 12 gigs of Ram is not enough though. I know that I will always be a slave to the high end devices for my work, even my high end PC is lagging towards the end of my big concept art pieces for work, though this might be a fault of photoshop to an extent. I'm interested in the TabS7+ too, just for the ease of use sketching and animating in my free time. But without a proper shortcut integration with keyboard I can't imagine ever using it seriously to do work on in any efficient manner. Does anyone know if there is a possibility to use full keyboard shortcuts for Clip studio Paint on android?

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe you can. In any case, Shog did get the Clip Studio Clip Mate remote to work with his Note 9 Phone, so that alone I think proves keyboard shortcuts are doable.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To Answer the question of this thread....if the Future of EMR rests on Samsung's shoulders, I'd answer, "For Now"

But not in the good sense that others will take EMR up. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung eventually shifts the S-Pen to AES. On the Duo thread I think it was, Dessertlap's insider info suggested Samsung didn't add an S-pen to the Galaxy Fold 2 because they couldn't get the EMR pen tech to adequately work on a folding device. EMR still requires the separate physical digitizer layer, between incorporating folding devices and making devices thinner and thinner, I think the shift to AES will be inevitable. I kind of thought it would have happened by now to be honest. Even now, they are already incorporating charging methods for the S-pens bluetooth functions...to switch the Pen itself to AES would be child's play since they already have the charging method worked out.

I could totally see in a few more years, EMR being exclusively clinging to life by Wacom alone.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Since the original EMR patent and the Cintiq EMR (tilt and barrel rotation) patent expired, anybody can make a Cintiq-quality EMR tablet PC, and in fact third-parties have been making patented Wacom EMR display tablets and can easily become suppliers of patented Wacom EMR digitizers for tablet PCs.

If any large company wanted to, they could easily buy one of those tiny companies right now (or even buy Wacom since it's not that big) and produce Cintiq-quality EMR digitizers, or do a couple of years of research themselves then produce the same.

The only thing setting apart genuine Wacom EMR from patented Wacom EMR copycats is the drivers and the build quality.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seeing what Apple have done on the iPad and iPad Pro with tilt and pressure on their tablets - I'm not so sad about this if PC OEMs have the gumption to demand AES as good and accurate as Apple's.

If they don't - when my zbook is too old, I'm afraid I'm going iPad or similar.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

Notebook 9 Pro is a champ and doing fine, but I need to know if I can rely on Samsung Android for my EMR fix in the future. N9P will eventually have to retire and something tells me they will keep half assing its replacememts...

BTW I just ordered Galaxy Tab S6 Lite from Costco with cover stand for $350 after tax and shipping. Wanna see if its good enough for my CSP needs or if not, I'll just trade up to Tab S7+ within 3 month exchange/return period.

I will report back with hands on next Friday.

stoneseeker and bloodycape like this.
  8. Shogmaster

Got S6 Lite early. No doubt, Mid range ARM SoC is fast enough for CSP. Its pretty darn buttery on S6 Lite. Krita, in contrast is way too laggy to sketch at my normal speed on the S6 Lite. But the UI sucks on a 10" LCD so I wouldn't recommend Krita on it despite the price even if it was fast.

I'm pretty darn happy with this purchase. 350 shipped with folio case was a fn bargain from Costco.

darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.