Is the Asus R1F for me? (and art student)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by 3orangefish, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3orangefish

3orangefish Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking through a lot of tablet PC (Note that I will be starting my freshmen year in studying animation and 3D, so I need a laptop that's good for art, animatio, and 3D modeling programs.), and I'm really liking the Asus R1F.
    What attracted me the most is the 13.3" screen. I wanted something portable. If I'm going to get a tablet PC, I will mostlikely be putting it on my lap. But a 12" screen is just too small for me, So the A4 size of the R1F sounds perfect to me. I also like the 1280x800 resolution size. Call me crazy, but I don't like them too big.

Being $1,559 with Windows Vista, it'a a bit out of my budget, but I have yet to find any major cons. (though I might be able to get a slightly used one for $1200) I read that the pen gets scratched up easy, but I have a wacom Intuos, and I think I'll be using the pen from that.

Here are ther reasons I like this tablet PC (base on reviews from others):

Nice design
    13.3" screen
    XGA resolution
    scratch resistant screen
    adjust screen colorization
    built in mic to record things too like memos or a teacher's lecture
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5500
    no problems with the R1F getting hot (i heard toshiba over heats)
    security
    Spill-Proof Keyboard
    1280x800
    keeps Photoshop CS2 running without a hitch

I want to dubble check to see if there are any major flaws with the Asus R1F, and if you think I might find another PC to be better, please feel free to share.

Thanks.

2. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi... you should look around in the asus forum. They seem to have some battery problems according to the posts.

3. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

The pen silo problem is aparently fixed up - check over at the asus forums for confirmation though.

As airgaps said there is a battery problem with most people who post, but resellers who occasionally post claim not having issues with it. Also I'm not sure how good the quality of the microphone is (hear that the Fujitsu has a better microphone)

4. desdamon

desdamon Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll be using the Asus R1F for the same reason . . . if i ever do get it . . . the onboard video will be really crappy for any modeling done in MAYA or 3DS MAX . . . BUT!

check out this

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=5369

http://islandgamers.wordpress.com/2...graphics-station-available-at-oem-next-month/

an external video card will allow you to have some serious power when at home and when you're about and about you don't have to bring it.

the other members are right in warning you about the battery issue . . . its one of the main reasons i haven't gotten one yet . . . im waiting till the end of the summer to see if they do a refresh on the processor (santa rosa) . . . if there is no refresh i'll probably end up getting it.

5. RolandTumble

RolandTumble Pen Pal - Newbie

You prob'ly won't be able to use your Intuos pen with your tablet. Check the Wacom website to be sure, but I remember reading there that the only pens that are cross-compatible are the ones from the smaller Cintiqs (not the 21ux), and maybe Graphire pens (they're pretty definite--I just don't remember for sure...).

6. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey 3orangefish I am an R1f owner and am regretting it. DO NOT BUY THIS TABLET.

1) The pen silo scratching issue is not resolved. My unit is 2 and a half months old and still suffers from it.

2) Static issue is not resolved.

3) Fingerprint reader may fall off on your unit, like mine,

4) The battery issue is not resolved and Asus refuse to admit to it despite the evidence that it exists.

5) The microphone is not sufficient to record lectures if that is an intended purpose (very muffled sound dispite being less than 4 foot away from a very clear trained solicitor lecturer)

6) It is unlikely that your Intuos pen will work on any tablet pc. Please refer to Wacaoms website for Penabled compatibility

In my own opinion the Asus R1f is fundamentally flawed as a unit. Certainly mine is. Also Asus appear not to care and will not replace your unit after 7 days if you discover a fault (their policy). Please look to mine and others posts on the Asus forum and keep your money for a company who deserve it and have experience in manufacturing tablet pc's.

The issues with this tablet are not isolated as Asus would have you believe. You have been warned.

7. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm going to second what Jurisprudence said. I've RMA'd my R1F twice. I not only have the issues of static, and battery life, the wifi on my unit shuts off when on AC power. Plus my R1F is HOT. My tablet came back from the first repair trip with not a single thing fixed, plus Asus techs stuck it in a box without packing so it bounced around in transit.

My service experiences have been very unprofessional. So if you buy an R1F, hope that you don't need service, because if you do, it doesn't appear that the unit will get fixed.

To reiterate...consider this a warning. I advise you to look elsewhere for a tablet.

8. Dark_Wolf

Dark_Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an Intous , and the pen is not compatible with my tablet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.