Is the Apple pencil itself worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Mooni_nooni, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Hey everyone, not so long I bought an iPad but honestly I really don't have a strong opinions about the stylus, I just feel like the stylus /Apple pencil itself is just overpriced?
    I expected to be wowed or amazed like everyone else but my opinion was neutral? Am I only person who has doubts that the stylus alone is a bit too much for what it's actually worth or does anyone know more about it in detail? What are your honest opinions about the apple pencil compared to all the styluses and tech you have tried?
    In my opinion I think the software experience is just smooth on the iPad in comparison to others

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When I first tried the Apple Pencil in stores when it launched with the 12.9 1st gen iPad Pro.....I really wasn't impressed at all.
    But when I bought the Apple Pencil with the 9.7 inch iPad Pro.....it took a little time, but I grew to really like it.

Cintiq/Spen EMR is still the king in my books, but I would put the Apple Pencil as #2... above the Surface Pen/MPP/Ntrig or Wacom AES options. And the $100 price point for the pencil isn't really that bad considering the Surface Pen itself retails for $100 as well.

WillAdams and Mooni_nooni like this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Is it overpriced? Not if you need a writing tool. If you don't need it, it's unimpressive. I've found it as good or better than Ntrig and AES, when I've tried it. Was it magic? Nope. It was just a digital pencil with nice weight and responsiveness. I will say I prefer the new version-- its better balanced and I prefer the way it charges. The tip has a bit of texture too, I believe.

Nothing compares to EMR though. I agree on this. If you really need to draw or write a lot, nothing really compares or feels as natural, IMO.

Mooni_nooni and WillAdams like this.
  4. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

ItsIa relief hearing your opinion , especially we have a huge amount of people swearing that apple pencil is better than EMR and it made spend my savings and honestly I couldn't like it enough to justify its price, And here I am again chasing EMR
    But Out of all the estatic pens out there apple has done it right

5. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

True a lot of iPad users are even saying it's an actual "pencil" and even refuse to acknowledge it as a stylus..I really do like the apple pencil it beats N-trig and Especially AES with its parallax issues. But I learnt my lesson to never take their word again, I just feel disappointed by joining the iPad pro hype thinking it was going to make me forget wacom in general.
    It's a relief knowing that I'm not just a weird one who thinks it isn't as great as advertised

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is a tad faster in laying down ink, but if you come from EMR where you have a hover cursor it takes a while to trust that it will lay the ink exactly where you want to place it.

Is it overpriced? You better believe it. What can you do about it? Absolutely zilch.
    Either you need/want it, or you don't.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's the software that makes the difference.
    And on the iPad is simply more enjoyable and thought out for a touch interface.
    Most people doesn't use tilt for drawing but it's undeniable that using the tilt function in Procreate it's the most similar thing to using a real pencil that ever happened in the digital world.
    The tilt on Microsoft Ntrig and Wacom Emr is a joke in comparison, it's useless.
    Not counting the precision: you can be certain the Pencil will start a mark exactly under the tip which both Microsoft and Wacom still miss, though Microsoft in this has taken a big step in the right direction. If only the pen wasn't so prone to interferences.
    Only thing that Wacom still does better is the pressure control which is still smoother on cintiq pens. Not so on Samsung emr.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Actually, I bought one looking and performing as brand new in original box on eBay for $55. That's what you can do about it.

Mooni_nooni and Kumabjorn like this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not refurbished? But I guess now that they released Pencil 2 they have stock to clear.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  10. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

True I find that kind of annoying but that is how they got rid of the parallax and with the lack of latency because of the 120hz refresh rate. And it's software the whole tablet itself a pretty good thing but if the screen and the software is doing the work the pencil is basically a gimmick.even buying from eBay is a risk