Is my USB broken or windows issue?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by scirocco, Jan 15, 2015.

1. scirocco

scirocco Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a 64GB usb key attached to my vivotab note 8 via USB OTG cable a couple days ago, transferring files happily. I ejected it and pulled the cable but then decided to transfer one more set of files. Plugged the cable back in and .... nothing ... Usually windows pops the dialog asking how you want to open the files but I get no response whatsoever. And it was just working moments before. I connected the cable to my phone and was able to view files on the usb key just fine. plugged the usb key directly into my desktop and it works fine. I would say that it is clear that my USB is broken BUT the tablet still charges just fine. There is no looseness or sloppiness in the connection. Additionally I have looked thru the device manager for any driver issues but nothing is highlighted as not working. I spent some time processing windows updates today and several device restarts and nothing has changed.

2. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you try looking for the USB drive's volume in My Computer?

It may have mounted fine and the type of files present prevented AutoPlay from opening a dialog. AutoPlay has different behavior settings for different types of files.

3. scirocco

scirocco Pen Pal - Newbie

The device does not mount, it never shows up in file explorer.

4. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

I have had a similar problem, and found no solution except to try inserting the USB device repeatedly. It will eventually be recognized, at least on my tablet.

I know someone with a Surface Pro II that does the same thing, seeming to make software the culprit.

5. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Check under Device Manager, see if the USB Root Hub errored out.

I noticed mine does this occasionally, after unplugging a charger. Stop and Start the device, sometimes need a reboot.