Is my HDD failing?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by yogi, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fair point but in defence I assumed a backup would have been the very first thing yogi would have done.

Then again.... never assume the obvious.

2. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I believe I'm now in the middle of month 2 of my hard drive developing the clicking-sounds-of-death. I would exchange it with ASUS, but I'm hoping that the hard drive will survive until the end of the quarter.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well for you jinobi, I would most certainly be recommending you keep an up to the minute backup.

4. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh yea, daily OneNote backups onto flash drive and external HDD are the norm.

5. Daniel Davila

Daniel Davila Dannydee

I just wanted to add that I too heard strange "ticking" types of noises usually associated with failing HDD's, but in my case it was the screen. I'm using Vista Ultimate 32bit, and it was doing this with Windows Media Player in the foreground playing sample music that comes with Vista. My other computers (desktops) do similar things, usually with VNC or during heavy LAN traffic, but it's much higher pitched. Once I closed WMP the noise disappeared.

Try closing minimizing all programs/stopping NIC/WIFI traffic the next time you hear it. I could try recording it later but I'm not sure it's louder than ambient sound, I just happened to have on a desk by my head while working on something else.

--
    DD

6. Krassi

Krassi Pen Pal - Newbie

I also get this clicking sound sometimes. When i heard it the first time I was very worried. But after a reboot it was gone. Then a few weeks later it came back again and then it was gone again. Im gonna make a backup immediatelly....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.