Is it worth installing Windows 8 Pro on the Ep121 slate?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by allstarleb, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goat

goat Scribbler - Standard Member

For those of you considering upgrading to Windows 8 don't unless there is some other reason you need to like using the EP121 as a iPad style tablet.

I checked about the state of Intel's support for the Intel HD Graphics contained in the ASUS EP121 and they are already dropping support. This for a graphics card in a slate pc that hasn't even been for sales for close to 2 years yet from one of their top hardware customers (ASUS) and their top software customer (Microsoft)!!! The Intel HD Graphics card itself probably is barely 2 years old now.

It seems Windows 7 will get better support than Windows 8 unless you are running on hardware that is shipping with Windows 8 to store soon. That means any tablet or laptop from 2011 is getting short changed in Windows 8.

At anyrate for those that need a digitally signed driver that supports a version of openGL newer than 1.1 from the 1990s update your MS WDDM 1.1 Intel HD Graphics driver by update hardware driver, uncheck compatible with this hardware, browser for driver, manually choose driver, choose Intel as the manufacturer, and chose Intel HD Graphics as the device. This will get you a version of the driver by Intel certified by Microsoft from 2011 that supports openGL 2.1.

2. Rob_Oppie

Rob_Oppie Pen Pal - Newbie

I think buying a new hard drive is a bit of over kill if your only reason for a new hard drive is being able to rollback to WIN 7. Just take a full disk image save before the upgrade - with the win 7 backup software or with the somewhat better Macrium free clone software.

3. goat

goat Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure if you're addressing me...there are so many replies...

I bought a new SSD (and it was expensive for 240GB) because of the space all the 'Windows Updates' takes in C:\Windows\Installed and my solution of copying that direcory to an xSD card and making an NT Hard Junction to save space was way to slow with the xSD. I also have alot of 3D models that take up a lot of space. I have to say if Microsoft's install system didn't wind up using 2 - 3 times the space of the actual installed application folder then the original 64GB SSD would have probably been enough.

I did the clean Windows 7 install followed by a Windows 8 upgrade specifically to address problems with Microsoft's proper recognition of EP121 HW and overcome Intel's poor Windows 8 driver support.

I have a Seagate USB HD that I use for backup that I could have easily restored to Windows 7, SW installs & all, from.

The reason I wouldn't recommend Windows 8 to anyone not wanting a iPad style tablet or not having to upgrade for developer purposes is because of the very poor driver support from Microsoft and Intel so far. I elaborated on that already. Given the poor driver support it's debatable whether a developer should upgrade. The only reason to would be if you had or planned to publish Metro SW to the Microsoft Store.

I upgraded the WiFi/Bluetooth card to Intel's Centrino WiFi 6235 to get a consistently connected bluetooth mouse/keyboard. No other reason. I saw in the event log the errrors from the Atheros drivers and for less than $25 hoped that Intel's would be better and I was lucky (given the state of Intel's Windows 8 driver support).

All-in-all a rather inexcusable experience for owners of this HW and SW at this cost. But I've got this EP121 now and at last it's almost functioning quite well.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  4. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I have the B121. I would def say go W8. Far better experience than W7.

5. DrMacabre

DrMacabre Pen Pal - Newbie

so far so good with RTM, i'm not going back to 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.