Is it possible to use other pens with Zbook x2?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Enon, May 29, 2019.

1. Enon

Enon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, I've been looking at a solution for mobile work to compliment my desktop( mostly to sketch on couch and bring with me to work). I have a cintiq at home and work on one all day at work so I'm pretty partial to wacom emr. I like the fact that the keyboard can work remotely for the zbook and it has the bezel keys. It seems like the most powerful 2 in 1 out atm (although I do wish it had a slightly more capable gaphics card for 3d work). Unless wacom has a mobilestudio refresh around the corner this seems like the best choice 32gb ram over 16 offered on the mobilestudio.

The one issue I am running into is that the pen only has one button which is detrimental to working in some 3d programs. I've seen quite a few other comments complaining about this same issue and was hoping there is some sort of work around. Is it possible to use any of the other wacom pens with the screen and would they work with the software? Or is there any other laptops using EMR that had decent graphic cards that could be another consideration?

Thanks in advance, cheers

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not exactly......The Zbook X2 is using the newer cut of UD EMR....the same relative generation that the current Samsung S-pen uses.

Although it will still indeed recognize older UD EMR Pens....because of the change in the nib assembly, older UD pens will have a noticeable pen tip to cursor offset, and the initial activation force will be much much higher. My once prized Axitron Studio Pen....the former king of UD EMR pens.....with its dual side switch....is essentially useless on my Galaxy Book 10.6. The zBook X2 Pen however works flawlessly perfect on the Galaxy Book. So with any of the older UD pens.....while some might work a little better then others.....overall it will be a fruitless pursuit.

As is.....the zBook X2 pen is more or less the current king of current UD EMR pens. Unfortunately since the nib assembly change.....there hasn't been a single UD EMR Pen with more then one pen button. Until now that is....the upcoming Acer ConceptD9 Easel.....has a EMR Pen....with two side buttons. Provided it is indeed using the same flavor of EMR as the Switch 7 and zBookx2, that pen will really be your best (and really only) bet.

artistebot likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

LOL I'm not bothered by offset from old EMR pens at all. The new sensor assembly brings the coil closer to the nib, thus different offset in off angles. I used Axiotron on the Galaxy Book and my issue wasn't offset at all but the lack of Feel driver. Maybe I just tend to draw with more vertical pen hold then other ppl, but I started doing that years ago due to: EMR offset. lol

5. Enon

Enon Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for the replies you two. It seems like my best bet would be to see if the new Acer pen works with the Zbook since I am certainly a bit of a snob for pen feel.

I guess my follow up questions would be that even if they are the same EMR would it still be reliant on hp's software supporting two pen buttons? Another issue I didn't realize was that I assumed it was an identical feel to a cintiq but that seems like it may not be the case as it's using slightly different tech? Is this actually the case and would it be different enough to be noticeable?

Thanks again for the help, cheers

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was thinking about that as well.....the driver the Zbook uses is basically Wacoms own driver just rebanded for HP. Wacoms own drivers can usually detect the specific pen you're using (Grip Pen, Art Pen, etc).....but.....since the Zbook is only really designed to be used with the single Pen.....even if the Acer dual switch pen ends up working great on the Zbook....its quite possible there would be no way to program the 2nd button.

As far as feeling goes.....I bounce between a Mobile Studio Pro which uses the Pro Pen 2.....and my Galaxy Book 10.6 which I'm using the Zbook x2 Pen for. To be honest....I really can't discern much of any difference. The pens even use the same nibs (cut so minorly different to prevent nib compatibility)....the Pro Pen 2 does have more of a recoil with its nib....and that pen is thicker so psychically using the pen feels a tad different....but drawing in Clip Studio....its virtually the same pen experience, like my line/brush quality comes out the same regardless of which device I"m using. I also use an older school 21ux Cintiq, a Surface Pro 5, and the iPad Mini 5 with Apple Pencil v1. Bouncing between all the devices, I feel confident in saying the UD EMR in the Zbook and Samsung devices would literally be the next best thing to Wacoms Pro Pen 2. Like if my Mobile Studio ever died....I'd totally go for the Zbook.

7. Shogmaster

Just a heads up: Wacom seems to have released a new Feel driver back in April 2019(last one was late 2017). Maybe this new one also works on the ZBook X2 as well? If it does, you can map 2 button pens no problem (Basically, the only reason last driver probably didn't work is because it came out before ZB X2 and does not have it on the list of "compatible devices" that it checks again before installing).

http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/

WillAdams likes this.