1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Is it possible to reprogram a USB Numpad?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by geofftoons, Dec 28, 2007.

1. geofftoons

geofftoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, for those that celebrate it.

I have a C-140XL running Vista Home Premium, and do a lot of work in Photoshop and Illustrator, and have been using the virtual keyboard for my shortcuts while in tablet mode. I just bought a cheap little USB Numpad today, and I was wondering if there is a way to reprogram the keys to have say, the 0 key on the keypad to become the CTRL key, the 1 key become the U key (for Undo) etc., and on down the line for my favorite shortcuts.

Is this even possible? I found a shareware online for reprogramming your regular keyboard keys, but nothing to reprogram the numpad.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  2. MJCS

MJCS Pen Pal - Newbie

3. icefreez

icefreez Pen Pal - Newbie

It may take a bit of coding but Autohotkey will work excellently. It can perform many other things you never knew you could simplify on your PC.
  4. geofftoons

Thanks guys, I'll check that out, it looks promising!
  5. mickeymao

mickeymao artist

Hey, did you ever get this working? I want to do exactly the same thing, and I'm guessing I could spend a number of hours trying to get it to work right. If you have an AutoHotkeys script, would you mind sharing?

Thanks!
  6. Vertrucio

Vertrucio Pen Pal - Newbie

Check to see if you programs support a second hotkey attached to various functions.

On the other hand, Photoshop allows you to save all your current keyboard shortcuts into a set and load them at will. So you could make a set of shortcuts in Photoshop just for the usb keypad. However, I'm not sure if all such programs have that ability.
  7. geofftoons

Sorry for the long delay in a response guys, I've been busy as all get out lately!

Anyhow, to answer your question Mickeymao, no, I wasn't able to get it working because once I opened up the Autohotkey program I got totally lost and confused about the whole thing, so I just said screw it.

Since my original post, I've gotten pretty adept at using the virtual keyboard for my shorcuts and don't even notice it now.

Vertucio, thanks. I'll take a look at that, but like I said, I've gotten use to using the virtual keyboard now. But if anyone does figure out the script and can write out directions on how to set it up in a Auto Hotkeys for Dummies format, that would be great, because it sounds like I'm not the only person here interested in that.

Thanks for your responses. : )
  8. Kmonio

Kmonio Pen Pal - Newbie

Keytweak worked for me. Once installed, just change the numpad keys for the expanded keyboard, changes the usb numpad keys as well.

KeyTweak - Descargar

Freeware, works on XP, Vista, 7...
  9. Maeflower

Maeflower Pen Pal - Newbie