Is it advisable to use the T4210 when on a bus?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Ebenezer, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ebenezer

Ebenezer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all!

I have a Fujitsu T4210 and am quite pleased with it.

I currently use it "full-time" in school, replacing hardcopy lecture notes with it, thereby reducing the weight.

May i ask whether is it advisable to use it while on a bus? (This may sound foolish but sometimes due to time constraints, I may have to read something on the bus.)

It is nice to see the Shock Sensor software notifiying me that an impact has been detected and that the hard disk head has been parked; however is this able to protect the hard disk from the bumps felt as the bus goes over uneven road surfaces? =P

Thank you.

Regards,

Ebenezer

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think that's what the Shock Sensor does, bumps on roads shouldn't register on the Shock Sensor; it is meant to protect your hard disk in case you set it down too hard, or accidentally drop it from low heights (high heights will probably kill it, it's just not the same as a Lenovo X or T-series). Anyway, most people are pretty careful with their tablets and find the Shock Sensor too sensitive even on lowest sensitivity settings so they have it disabled.

I assume you're seated, and not trying to balance on said bus holding your tablet in one hand and stylus in the other ;-) Well, actually you can use it standing, if you don't plan on using the stylus - possible when reading ebooks.

I see you're nominated on The Worst Possible Joke thread - good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Ebenezer

Ebenezer Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup I only use it when i am seated on the bus.

However, some road irregularities do make the bus not only shake and shudder but also go "up" and "down" in extreme cases.

My past experience with another laptop that had the hard disk generate screeching sounds before it "died" was what made me worry about using a laptop on a moving vehicle, given that I had never used the other laptop on a moving vehicle before.

Thanks for informing me about the nomination.

Ebenezer

4. kureshii

Whoa, that sounds pretty terrible... if it's in your arm then there shouldn't be too much problem since it is well-cushioned, but if it's in laptop mode and on your lap then I'm not too sure. Is there even space for you to type on a crowded bus? From personal experience I've never been able to type without poking people in the ribs, LOL.

5. watson10

watson10 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm new to Shock Sensor technology and it seems to me on my Fuji 4220 that it seldom registers shock in landscape slate mode, but when I'm reading in portrait mode with the machine on my stomach it registers even the little up and down motions from breathing! This movement is not near as rough as when I'm jostling it about and no warning is given then.

Anyone have similar experience? Is it the portrait mode? (not hijacking the thread)

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Damn, where do you live that you can use a computer on the bus without getting robbed? I wouldn't even wear a nice watch on the bus in most areas and most days around here.

7. kureshii

Singapore is really safe, leaftye... too safe, I think. It's all too easy to get complacent and think that other countries are the same.

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The UK's the same.... You can even leave a bag alone on the bus and no one will touch it.

But then again we do get idiots leaving them as bombs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.