Is Google Letting Motorola Die?

Discussion in 'Google' started by CLeonard, Jan 1, 2013.

1. CLeonard

CLeonard Tablet PC Review Site Admin Super Moderator

There's an interesting article on Brighthand called Google Is Letting Motorola Die with the premise that Google had no intention of continuing to build Motorola's Smartphones and Tablets when they shelled out $12.5 billion in Aug 2011. Instead they just wanted Motorola's Intellectual Property and that this seems to be borne out by their actions viz-a-viz Motorola since the purchase. If so, was this a good use of $12.5 B? Is intellectual property in the mobile world simply that valuable?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

The new Moto X is the first sign we've seen that Google and Motorola can collaborate to make something good.

It's an open question if/when Motorola will get back into the tablet market, though. As a general rule, I don't recommend that struggling smartphone makers divert their attention to making tablets. (I'm looking at you, Nokia.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. benroveno

benroveno Pen Pal - Newbie

I think Google has been really careful with its partnership with Motorola. I believe Google still hesitates to work with Motorola to make their collaborated devices because this move will definitely infuriate other Google manufacturer partners like Samsung, Sony, LG, etc because their sales will be grabbed with Google and Motorola if these 2 companies make devices. That's the reason why Google sells Motorola hardware division to Lenovo in order to gain the trust from its partners back and continues building this Android ecosystem together.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

5. CLeonard

CLeonard Tablet PC Review Site Admin Super Moderator

Without the patents, what exactly is Lenovo buying? Just the devices, which are now a few years out of date?

6. anaisac51

anaisac51 Pen Pal - Newbie

Moi je pense surtout qu'on pourrait toujours le ressusciter si tout le monde fait une pétition comme ca Google nous répondra.