Is fujitsu T4010 stilla good investment?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dustin, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomman

atomman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone!

I have been surfing around the forum the last couple of days looking for clues as to which tablet pc i should buy.
    But I really can't decide.
    The price being a major factor I narrowed it down to tosh. tecra m4 or acer c312. But then suddenly a strange and wonderful thing happened...
    The online stores in my country dropped the price on t4010. And now the t4010 is actually one of the cheapest tablets you can buy in Denmark at 2/3 of the original price which compares with Tecra M4-103 and acer c312.
    I don't play games and will use it mainly to read and annotate scientific papers, use it as notebook in the lab and when attending seminars etc. and do some office related computer tasks.
    Of course I would like to run vista when it arrives but eye candy means close to nothing to me, I'm more interested in the new pen/ink features.

So my question are:

Is the t4010 still a good investment?

will T4010 suit me needs? Or am I better of with an other tablet?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS. I have posted a similar thread in an other forum over at tabletpcbuzz.com

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The T4010 is a good tablet, just slightly older technology. For what you want to do, I think it would be a great option, you can use the money saved for acessories, upgrades or whatever you want. Fujitsu makes a great product and offers good support.

3. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the 4010 runs circles around the M4 in terms of form factor. The M4 is I think ~6.5 pounds. But for all that weight all you get technology-wise is a chincy Nvidia6200 GPU. While this GPU is undoubtedly better than an integrated Intel solution, it is by far too weak to do any serious 3D work(read games). You might as well save a few pounds of traveling weight and get the Fujitsu.

The Fujitsu can be configured with up to a 2.0GHz CPU and up to 2gigs of RAM. Specs like those don't seem too outdated to me. Just my opinion though.

4. atomman

atomman Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I must admit that the form factor and battery life of the Fujitsu will make it easier to integrate the tablet pc in as many aspects of my day as possible.
    Thereby making my day more productive :)
    Does anybody have experience with extra batteries bought on ebay? How can I distinguish a media bay compliant battery from a battery that won't fit in the media bay?
    an example:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/new-fujitsu-s...29252548QQcategoryZ101251QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will the above battery(link) fit in the media bay?

5. p2z

p2z Pen Pal - Newbie

hi Atomman
    I can see that you are intending to use the tablet for the same applications as I am. And I have also narrowed my choises down to the Fujitsu (4010/4020) or the HP Compaq TC4200 (I guess I don´t need the DVD in my everyday use).

But now I am a bit worried about the 4010 getting to hot !(http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28057).
    Have you considered the TC4200 ?

6. Dustin

Dustin Pen Pal - Newbie

the guy in the link you left said that the 4010 was "too HOT to hold on my bare hand"...at first i thought he was just being a sissy. However lots of people in that topic had problems with that

Also as a side note the TC4200 is great and you should definatly look into it atomman

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed, the TC4200 is a sweet tablet. The Fujitsu however does have suede on the back to cover the hottest areas to provide additional comfort for users. I have not handled the T4000 for any extended periods of time, so I can't say much about the heat. I will say that the TC4200 does heat up also (as most any Somoma-based thin and light tablet/notebook). However it may be possible that the Fujitsu heats up even more. Are there any other users who can chime in on this issue?

8. Daring

Daring Moderator

I've never used the Fujitsu so I can't comment on heat compared to my TC4200, however I will tell you that under normal use I do not find the 4200 to get "hot" in any sense of the word. It does get warm, but certainly not uncomfortable. The only exception to this would be when the tablet is in fast charge (the HP fast charges the battery until 90% charge is reached and then goes into trickle charge). When in fast charge I still wouldn't categorize it as hot, but I do find the heat unpleasant. I generally charge the tablet at night so this hasn't been an issue (it does stay cool with the laptop off and charging). The HP has been the coolest of any notebook I have worked with.

9. atomman

atomman Pen Pal - Newbie

I can certainly see that the tc4200 is a very nice alternative. Unfortunately it does not fit into my budget :(
    For me that the lack of CD-ROM drive is unfortunate. I realize that I could just buy an external drive, which would suit me needs just fine, but that just add to the cost.
    Beside I really like the idea of a hot swap media bay, which can accommodate a battery, hard drive or just thin air if that will come in handy for anyone!

On a side note I can tell you that I realized the CR-RW is not included in the t4010's price anywhere in Denmark. So the initial offer I spoke about don't seem so favorable after all...

The more I think about it it seems that portability is now one of my top priorities. I think I can wait until the start of January with my purchase. Maybe then the acer c200 will be available.

I would like to thank anybody who contributed to this discussion so far. You have made the decision a little bit easier
    At least I'm no longer considering tecra M4

10. Daring

Daring Moderator

Sorry to hear that the TC4200 doesn't fit your budget. Have you considered factory refurb? There are some really awesome deals on the HP refurb site, some even include a DVD drive. Don't know if you can get someone to ship it to Denmark for you , but someone on eBay may be able to ship there. Further as far as the bay goes HP does sell a "travel battery" which attaches to the bottom if you need extended battery life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.