Is anyone bothered by the short 3 hour battery life?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by CJP, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJP

CJP Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks dceggert for your detailed opinion and thoughts. Among others, you made an excellent point - there will always (for most of us anyway) be tradeoffs. Indeed! Your stance on separating the "must haves" from the "nice to have" is a great way to make a good decision - especially when it comes to technology.

I was a (very) early adopter for the iRex DR1000S. Battery life was pretty awful early on and so I carried a Tekkeon recharageable battery pack/charger. Small, easy to pack, and it worked wonderfully. So I am thinking this (or something similar) might work nicely with the snazzy EP121.

Interesting ideas and options here from all who've responded to my concerns about the Asus EP121. Thanks! :)
    CJP

2. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

The hardware for the most part dictates the battery life but windows demands better hardware because it is capable of heavy duty apps and multi tasking which contributes to more power and less battery life. Linux is able to run on a tegra processor with 512mb of ram which I don't think the same could be said of windows. With mobile device you have to make sacrifices; more weight, less battery life or less performance.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

If only that were true. I would love to get 20+ hours of battery life on my tablets. One runs Windows Vista, the other runs Windows 7.

4. dsmwookie

dsmwookie Pen Pal - Newbie

Zunq you are comparing apples to oranges. Windows is not to blame for being capable of handling large programs and telling the hardware to pick up the pace in order to meet demand.

Battery technology is truely the gimp player in this comparison. With more electronic demands and becoming such a large part of the consumer market lighter and longer lasting batteries are in demand.

It is obvious people desire a Windows slate, but in they need them for production and consumer purposes. This was the appeal of the Ep121 because it had all the capabilities everyone wanted. It has fallen short in its battery life. Outside of that the device has a great digitizer, screen, storage, weight, reasonable size (arguable), and quick enough to perform graphic design, HD video, and light gaming

All in all Asus dropped the ball by omitting the dock; not as an inclusion, but completely removing it as an option.

5. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

It is possible if tablet makers start putting in bigger batteries instead of the bare minimum. A few years ago HP had a laptop with 24+ hour battery life.

If you want battery life I would look at the HP slate except its much slower. IMO an android tablet or ipad with active digitizer would be my dream tablet.

6. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

but i want windows on it....AND battery life as well, so the search continues...:D

7. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Would Android or the Ipad really take advantage of the active digitizer? I doubt it. They are not designed to be serious PCs. If Android and iPad can fill you needs, then the EP121 is definitely an overkill. As for the battery life, it's definitely disappointing, but I'd say it's the easiest thing to compensate.

I think the EP121 is mainly suitable for a laptop replacement. It's over configured for anything else.

8. cfdevkev

cfdevkev Scribbler - Standard Member

The only concern I have about the battery life is that every time someone asks about it I will need to hear how horrible it is and how I can't watch 10 hours of video or whatever...

This is my first venture into the tablet/slate form factor, so I can't speak from first-hand experience, but I would imagine a third-party solution that will allow the EP121 to be used for extended periods. Even if you had to hack something together yourself and spend a bit more, go for it! Someone has to be the early adopter, otherwise everyone else would have the same stuff forever.

I can see it now... grab a super battery pack, integrate it into a "laptop shell" and plug in. Certainly not as elegant a solution as having a dock connector, but still... ASUS does not need to be the only innovator with this product!

9. kjlietz

kjlietz Pen Pal - Newbie

In the product specs on Amazon.com I read »Power adaptor with USB port charging function«. I do not know what this really means. But maybe the ep 121 can be charged via USB?

10. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Im pretty sure i read some place that the ep121 can indeed be charged via usb, not sure why this matter much really. I personally am pretty dissapointed in the battery life and the lack of docking port. I still think its a work of art and might still buy it. Im pulling for it for sure. I have no doubt that it will sell well. However, now im torn between this and the motion cl900 coming out in a few months. Its said to get 8 hours, weight one pound less, and have a docking port. At the cost of lower cpu and 2gigs of ram. Im really curious to find out if its capable of running most things that it would be used for like photoshop. Also the lack of wacom with that horrid looking ntrig pen puts me off a bit.