IR wireless keyboard for Fujitsu tablets?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Greg_E, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an ST5112 and an old C500 tablet, the IR keyboard for the C500 works fine on the 5112 but the range is extremely short. So what I want is a better IR keyboard... Do the "generic" IR keyboards work with the Fujitsu tablets? Few of these devices list IRDA in the specs. so I'm looking for something that is known to work. Need longer range like 10 to maybe 20 feet indoors. I do have a Bluetooth dongle attached to a USB port, but I'm not sure I can use BT keyboard at the same time I am using a BT RS232 adapter. I also don't have a BT keyboard to test to see if it would work.

What I don't want to do is plug another USB device in to use a keyboard/mouse, so the RF or proprietary IR versions are not what I am looking for. If I'm going to connect another USB device, I'll just go with a wired keyboard/mouse but wireless would be nice.

2. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

BT should work fine.

3. Greg_E

Yup.... One of our students has an Android tablet and a BT keyboard that I just tested, worked fine so now I have to go select something and buy it.

In case someone stumbles onto to this, I'm using USB dongle:
    USB Serial Bluetooth Adapter dongle
    And this BT-RS232 device:
    Serial Bluetooth RS232 adapter

I bought one of the long range USB BT adapters but it isn't working so I'll probably have to exchange it. The RS232 is sitting on my Cisco lab rack with the 5 volt power (pin 9).

And as I type, the second BT-RS232 adapter has just died. Maybe you don't want to buy one!

4. Greg_E

Just picked up a Logitech BT keyboard sound for Android 3.x devices, works fine with the BT adapter in my laptop and should be fine in the 5112 when I get to work and try it but I expect it to work fine.

Logitech® Tablet Keyboard for Android? 3.0+

5. Greg_E

Wow, that was interesting, four post with one button press.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.