iPhone X2 and iPhoneX plus coming with Apple pencil support but not on LCD iPhone 9

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
?

Which of the following real or hypothetical iPhones would you prefer in 2018?

1. Expensive - whatever iPhone Xplus is going to be (pencil support is included)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cheaper - A10 fusion + iPhone7 camera + 5.5 LCD + pencil support + iphonex design, no wireless charg

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With that beautiful Samsung amoled panel, wireless charging, slim bezels and pencil support, beautiful colours, iphoneX plus will be a Samsung note running iOS on an even faster Apple chip, what's not to like?. For me, plenty.

It's been a long standing demand for many of us and it's finally here but not unlike Samsung, stylus support will be limited only to it's premium phone offerings. As a result, we finally have diversity of OS in a penabled phablet market, but democratization akin to what ipad 2018 ushered in tablet market is still absent in phone space.

iPad 2018 was a watershed moment in pen computING, by bringing pencil support to the cheaper iPad it democratized access to stylus for a demographic, that could not afford it before.
    A demographic that doesn't need highest benchmark or a glass back or wireless charging or tilt support or best cameras. All they need is quality pen performance so that they can go paperless and be more productive. This is a demographic i belong to, we just want to get better grades for better future, get more efficient at work to find more time for family, to not forget an idea by writing it on a digital pocketbook. For us technology is just a tool, not the symbol of our social status, it is not the source of our happiness or satisfaction in life.

So, even if i can and in near future will buy a penabled iPhone, but that doesn't mean it will be for me. I still have my Note3NEO (neo=cheaper note) a $400 phone that had the same pen technology that was in the $800 flagship. It's pen technology was barely usable but it was the best pen tech there was in consumer tech, and that was satisfaction enough for me.

What we need is an Apple Pencil compatible, iPhoneX body with a LCD panel, processor and camera from iPhone7 era without the fancy glass back and wireless charging. And a price point that is accessible -may be $500.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, finally!

I've always thought that stylus support should be a standard feature on smart phones and never understood why most people seemed to think a million other things more important than note taking on the go.

With any luck since Apple sets the tone there will soon be a wave of Chinese stylus-enabled devices as well and that will be the end of the all-keyboard phone era.

3. siddhartth

Hopefully.

By the way, you can vote in the poll connected to this thread.

The point of this poll was to gauge if people on this site will prefer bleeding edge tech for the premium price or 2 year old but still fairly powerful specs of iPhone7plus if it helps bringing the cost of a penabled iphone model, down.

From my experience, even the performance and camera of a new iphone6 are good enough compared to most android phones released recently. i would happily buy an iphone6 today if it comes with a pen.

4. siddhartth

update- it was just a rumour, there is no indication of Apple pencil support on any upcoming iPhones. Seemingly, Apple experiments concluded it would be a bad user experience.

May be instead of trying to justify using ginormous pencil on iphones, they should have tried to buy not just the oled displays from Samsung but display and wacom digitizer assembly as a whole from Samsung. Yes, it might have driven up the cost but we could be sure in an year or 2 this tech would have trickled down to the cheapest iphone. Like how Apple pencil trickled down to ipad2018 6gen.

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mystified by folks not finding the stylus useful --- still miss my Newton MessagePad and would be glad of a replacement.

siddhartth likes this.
  6. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't see how they can match the s-pen. It's basically unbeatable for a phone. I bet that's the issue.

siddhartth and WillAdams like this.
  7. siddhartth

Yes, they should just buy the technology and display + pen digitizer from Samsung. so basically we will have a for all pratical purposes a Note Phablet with a notch running iOS.