iPhone X

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I said I'd be suspended if I went in an anti-gun rant. You're in the safe zone. We all have days we need to get things off our chest.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just keep it Off Topic and who's to complain...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for that. Are you referring to yourself in particular or anyone who went on an anti-gun rant? Is there a reason that such topics would be verbotten, while I'm free to trash all the major players in the tech industry not for their products but for their political impacts? Just wonderin.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm referring to myself. We had one in neighboring Norway a few years ago and when they go on shooting sprees in schools killing innocent kids it makes my blood boil. A rant about that would be considered political, a rant about Apple has nothing to do with politics and everything to do about tech.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

5. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Politics are linked to morality, and one is totally entitled to enquire and inform others about the choices being made. It's called informed consent. It was always big in my profession. Now, with the privacy and data theft issues coming out of digital tech ecology we have immersed ourselves into, it has become too important to ignore.

It's not just our right but also our moral duty to educate ourselves about the political repercussions of the food we eat, the tv network we rent and the motorcycle we ride. We can vote by our money and buy with our consent too.

Shizaru likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@siddhartth, that was well said, and though still not directly on-topic for the iPhone X, I want to respond that it's almost impossible to use and enjoy tech today without supporting one or more of the "gang of monolithic monsters" (Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook), which have become so huge, dominant and wealthy that they may be structurally and institutionally incapable of chasing growth and profits as their stockholders demand without doing real harm to our society due to the attacks on privacy, democracy (looking at you, FB), safety - especially for our children - and ultimately some truly scary consequences of technologies such as AI, facial recognition, always-on microphones "listening" to everything we say in or homes, all of which coalesce as "big data" that creates unthinkable capabilities by people and entities we can't know or trust not to really mess with every aspect of life and society. I've never been called a conspiracy theorist and I'm not in any way suggesting that these behemoth entities have evil intentions, but I believe they are creating, by simply following the knowledge curve that they are compelled to explore, the ability for so much harm to be done by entities and countries that don't have the best interests of people or societies driving them, to understate it dramatically. Soon there will be so much data, so many interconnected devices and "Things" (as in IOT) and such amazingly powerful algorithms and tools to access, address and control them that immense power - for good as well as bad - will be irreversibly accessible and all but universally distributed, whether the means are purchased in free markets or stolen through hacks and cyber attacks, such that everything from our personal financial security, the safety of our power grid, the safety of traveling on our roads (looking at you, self-driving cars and trucks) are all at risk just as our elections are now. How provincial Orwell's "1984" now seems, and how frighteningly prophetic.

Not only that, but don't you just hate the notch on the iPhone Ex?:vbconfused::vbbiggrin:

siddhartth and Shizaru like this.
  7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

True that.

Yes i hate it, but i don't hate apple for doing it, that's the only way they could get increase the screen to body ratio with the tech and design limitations they faced. Samsung is way ahead of apple in that regard, it has achieved a better screen to body ratio without forcing a notch on the consumers. I hate apple apple for not making the iphones pencil compatible. And not making a pocketable thicker "Pen" version of the pencil with choice of a more grippy and thinner nib. Also, the Native Notes App is primitive in features.

I hate Microsoft for not getting Samsung to make a windowsmobile10 version of Note8. And never bringing inking to Windows mobile.

I hate Samsung for reserving the pen to it's flagship l and not releasing a cheaper version of it's note8. And also for abandoning SNote in favour of it's feature lacking new Samsung notes app.

I hate Google for bringing notch compatibility in AndroidP. It was a compromise for Apple but copying compromise others and promoting it in it's own ecosystem is just plain dumb. Samsung will never do that. Apple will get rid of the notch at the firt moment it becomes technologically possible for them. It will be Android users like me who will themselves stuck with a plethora android phones with dumb notches for a decade atleast.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. Gakery

Gakery Pen Pal - Newbie

I was surprised that I had been able to sync data to a Android from old iPhone 6, but I couldn't do it since I used the iPhone x.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  9. James Pandit

James Pandit Pen Pal - Newbie

Just updated my iPhone X to iOS 11.4. Everything is stable and good ;-)