iPhone X

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Count one taker here. Coming from the "Plus" versions, this thing is great. It's like getting the screen, battery and camera of the 8 Plus in the 8 body. The screen is razor sharp, but not as "vibrant" as my son's Galaxy Note 8. I still want the S Pen experience, but I am so locked into the iOS software world (even more importantly iMessage and Facetime) that it is hard to escape that gravity well. In truth, it is a great working and great looking phone for less than Andre the Giant hands. It is an incredible halo device (so much so that if MacBook Pro didn't have that godawful keyboard, I would be getting a MBP 15 instead of a Spectre x360 15, and brave the transition to MacOS to go all in).

PS - on that MacBook Pro thing - the Touch Bar is another godawful abomination just to avoid bringing touch to the MacOS screen. Microsoft is absolutely right for evangelizing the touch screen (it is a valid third input option behind keyboard and trackpad/mouse), so get over yourselves at Apple and join the party...oh, wait, that might cut into iPad revenues...oh well...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. ramseyasr

ramseyasr Pen Pal - Newbie

Got a brand new iPhone 8 as an early christmas present. The price is too high for X

3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Bringing pen compatibility will further make the cost higher and higher digitizer frequency would increase battery consumption.

Personally i would not mind a thicker phone with a bigger battery.

Nor i am averse to a tooth pick sized Note8 type pen silo. Yes Apple Pencil's electronics is an AES type technology which requires electric power, so in order to make the pen slimmer, if they bring forth a corded solution which draws it's power from the iPhone itself, i will accept it.

And i repeat, i will prefer a thicker and narrower phone instead of slimmer and wide.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Just a sweeping generalization from a person who's in a bad mood from a bad day :mad::

I hate Apple and everything they do and stand for and especially I hate the path they've created to World Domination within the "tiny niche" they occupy in the consumer tech world. I equally hate that they've gotten - and stayed - there largely by making superior product and, overall, better customer support than any other manufacturer, though not as good as Amazon when it comes to retailers. I hate the fact that Apple is a top 10% - of the income/wealth - company whose products are only affordable for those who dwell (yes, I'm one) in that rarefied air. I hate that they have their market segment locked in to pay outrageously high prices because, like @dstrauss , they've locked enough people into their messaging standard that no one who can afford to keep buying will ever get out. Beyond this, I hate that as hard as Apple is trying to kill the MacBook brand, it's still - with ChromeOs far in it's rear view mirror - the only OS that consumers can count on to not use and not feel like they spend as much time updating the OS and fixing what each update breaks - know what I mean, all us Windows hacks out here? - than doing what we bought our devices to do. I hate the fact that Google has their own ticket to milking world economies and so doesn't really have to worry if Android sucks or not and if hardware mfrs are committing brand suicide unless they adopt Stock Android (thereby taking away any potential advantage to differentiation) and that Google, further, treats it's hardware customers worse than any Chinese brand I've ever owned - because they can, and what are you going to do if you don't like it? I really despise the ways that Google, Apple, Facebook and Twitter have taken ownership of the consumer information infrastructure and made it so that so many are being harmed in so many ways (through privacy invasion, leading to identity theft, through perpetuation of "fake news" knowing that it is killing our kids and destroying our democracy) and yet they make comments like the Facebook VP of Sales did yesterday ("Russia was not trying to tip the election to Trump") and Apple is just content to literally control our hardware to do whatever they want it to do or not do while they have taken up residence in the brains and wallets of 75% of the people who buy high end consumer tech and don't want it to break a lot and....I'm trying to make this an infinite, run-on sentence of a semi-lunatic who has had one too many revolting experiences with a tech company, a large American shipping company, a large American health insurance company, read some gut-punch articles about what the Trumpiverse is doing to make the lives of so many - here, in Syria, for brown and black people everywhere worse and worse and worse and I just don't know if Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google may make it impossible for any other party to get into power in 2018 or 2020 and all the while the world is burning and crying and people like me are making gobs of money I didn't earn because of tax cuts that are gutting our future, our childrens' futures but NOBODY seems to be able to do anything about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(For those who know me, (and poor Siddarth, who made an innocent comment about a phone!): I'll be fine and back to my normal, annoying, know-it-all self after I get some intoxication into me and my wife gets home from work and calms me down. For everyone else: stay away from that Lovelaptops guy - unless we're talking about laptops!)

Oh, and one more thing: AAAAARERRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::vbeek::vbeek::vbfrown::vbfrown::vbfrown:

5. dstrauss

WOW - and I thought I was the KING of rants...

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Time to change the user ID to lovelaptopsFML

I'm sorry to say that I read at least 80% of your rant, and had a few good laughs along the way. :D But yes, I hate a whole bunch of similar stuff. I would write them here too, but I have to go on my road rage home. Cheers!

7. lovelaptops

• Thank you, one and, er, both :hi:. While I certainly did not start my rant with any real plan - not even a plan to rant! - I realized I was partially out of control and partially experiencing a moment of clarity (such an emotion-and-state-of-being that I have systematically tried to avoid and suppress since November 19, 2016 for fear of what it could do to my health and that of those around and nearest and dearest to me!) and that for me to avoid anything like road rage (thankfully, I was and remain in for the night!) or it's electronic equivalent I needed to let out at least some steam which is, in the end, all I succeeded in doing perhaps all for the best, if I haven't lost the respect of two forum buddies I really like - plus some of the others who have been on this oh-so-un-TPCR-like thread started by that humblest and unassuming of ladies (that means *you* @Kumabjorn - who was probably sleeping soundly when I posted this and may soon - please be gentle, my darling - wake to this down at the bottom of her email.

• Whatever, I just wanted to say that there is a time and a place and this was neither, but I did realize after the fact (I could have deleted the post but didn't, mindful though that it is a relatively narrowly followed thread) that some expressions need to see the light of at least some folks day to achieve any purpose, if there be a purpose to such less-than-thought-out rants and whines. I have to say that what really caused this eruption in me and loss of self control was Parkland, Fla, amazing as it was that this did not make it into my rant. It happens that I had just read a horrible story about what's happening - right now and every minute of every day amounting to 100s of Parklands in Eastern Ghouta, Syria, just outside of Damascus.

• But hey, check out those kids from Parkland, FL, in a bus to Tallahassee to tell their legislators they're mad as hell and they're not gonna take it anymore. Suddenly I'm not so angry and I feel a strange kind of hopeful happiness, and I haven't even had that drink yet. :thumbsup:
    XXXOOO Forum Buds. Guess I should start an Off-Topic, eh? Peace, Jeff

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Never been a fangurl of Apple, although I'm very happy with my iPad Pro 9.7, and as happy as I am with that as miffed I am about their walled garden.I get that Apple creates frustration and you need to rant about them once in a while. And don't get me started on your lack of gun control. Granted it doesn't affect me. But if the argument is that guns don't kill people, people kill people, then the only answer is that you have to get rid of people who supports that line of thinking. I could go on an epic rant about that, but I'd also be suspended from TPCR, and is like to avoid that.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

JoeS likes this.
  9. dstrauss

@lovelaptops - Jeff - all is cool here - you are among friends at ALL TIMES!

10. lovelaptops

Thank you, my good man and friend. :hi: Does that mean you think I can ignore that scary thing @Kumabjorn said about being suspended from TPCR :vbeek:?