iPhone X

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe we aren't saying the same thing. I mean the message you get after rebooting the phone is different... it says something about the phone being rebooted... this one did not.

But regardless, Apple has now come out and said the reason it failed was that as the phone was being moved around prior to the keynote, it was actively trying to FaceID the people moving it. Its designed to on allow two fails before pin is required. So those 2 tries could have easily been burned by one person carrying it across the room. Their explanation includes them saying that it didn't fail... it worked as designed.

But to me, that is a fail. It shows that the design is bad. It also was much slower when it worked later in the demo, than TouchID. TouchID wasn't broken... so they shouldn't have tried to fix it. The only scenario when TouchID doesn't work really well is when your hands are wet or sweaty. What they should have done is add FaceID, not take away TouchID. Both would have been a great improvement in usability. Instead, they have introduced a new system that will have way more false negatives and result in a much higher need to enter the pin. It will also not work at all in many scenarios that TouchID works extremely well in. Like being in a meeting and wanting to check something kind of under the table so to speak... how are you going to do that with FaceID? There are many scenarios that won't work well with FaceID.

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Actively trying to face ID people sound precariously close to data mining of faces.

lovelaptops and Shizaru like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think they said all that data is stored locally, which makes sense since you also want to be able to unlock when you're offline. As for data mining of faces, this is obviously going on all around the world at record speed, better get ready.. On the plus side, this is going to enable so many cool things. Can't wait to make creepily realistic 3D prints of my buddies' faces for a collection of bobblehead dolls. :) (gets working on viral app)

4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

If you consider the invasion/theft of your privacy, through the wholesale collection of users biometrics, by nefarious government agencies and corrupt corporations will lead to anything remotely beneficial or cool to the user, I fear you're going to be very disappointed.

I don't think that the decision to remove the biometric TouchID was a design error on their part, as the shift towards forcing face recognition is an industry and political goal. They may say the data is stored locally but it's blatantly obvious that that data will be harvested. M$ and Apple will be using that data as part of their catchup with Facebook, who are the current world record holders for the number of stored images with facial identification attached. Between M$ and Crapple Farcebook is quickly going to fall back to third place, when you consider every device running those OS's will be grabbing images of everyone who touches a machine. Car manufactures are also busy installing cameras in the dashboards which is all part of the drive towards driverless cars and total 24/7 surveillance grid.

You would think events like the Equifax hack would be a wakeup call for people!? Allowing all these companies to collect and retain all your private information is going to lead to a bad place...way worse than the situation is today, which is hard to imagine.

This presentation makes it quite clear what's going on with facial identification theft technology, in association with all the other data mining.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uh, you're right. Sorry!
    That message come up when the touch id fails a number of times, the rebooting message is another one.

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[​IMG]

:p

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Bronsky, Kumabjorn and WillAdams like this.
  7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

The iPhone won't unlock unless the user's eyes are open and looking at the camera.

Shizaru likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yo Adrain! There is actually a statue of this guy in the shadow of my home town's art museum.

9. bill martinez

bill martinez Pen Pal - Newbie

Already looking a case for this one. Anyone got a good leather case recommendation? Not the official one from Apple though

10. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like the apple leather cases, I have used them for my iPhones in the past. What I don’t like is the price of course. Since lets be honest its overpriced for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk