iPhone X

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It was revealed, it was expensive and I think it was somewhat in the spirit of Steve Jobs.
    But are there any takers?

JoeS and lovelaptops like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Phone prices are going past the crazy realm.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Millions, and millions and millions, I have little doubt. The $US1,000 phone has been made possible by two phenomena:

1) declining cost of monthly service
    2) (moreso) the magic of installment financing of phone hardware; it's not a $1K phone, it's a $45/mo. phone. It's not $300 more than many excellent flagship smartphones; its only $12 more [per month, for 24 months!]

So we've reached the crossover point: your monthly cell service costs about the same as your monthly hardware loan. Plus, in the US, carriers are effectively back to subsidizing your phone cost, but only if you switch. Apple and Samsung are laughing all the way to the bank.

Last thought: is there any *meaningful* innovation in the X? Other than being last to the OLED party, last to the no-bezel screen, etc? I mean, I'm sure the screen is gorgeous, the camera reaches new levels of near-perfection, the industrial design is stunning and the cpu/gpu is bat-shirt fast. But that describes the 7+ and, S8+ so they're going to rush out and "upgrade," why? At least the Note 8 has the S-pen. [he mumbles into the microphone of the Note 5 he bought new for $350 last year...]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Bronsky, Ed Hardy, WillAdams and 2 others like this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

couldn't put it more perfectly...
    The only point I'd differ is do people NEED it? no...will they still get it? yes

Ed Hardy likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

FWIW in some countries, people pay as low as $5 per month for decent plans with a lot of national calls & fair (>10GB) amount of data included.

6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its definitively crazy. More expensive than 2 Galaxy Book 10 (yes I got a good price on amazon, 500€/$). More expensive than 3 AVN8.
    But as crazy as the Galaxy Note 8 (1000€/$).
    What are they thinking ?
    That we are crazy ! And that we will pay.
    I have stopped to pay a phone more than 300 €/$.
    I will not have one of them. But I do not care.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's even worse if you want a large screen and more than 64GB. I run out of space on my 64GB 6S+ (lots of offline music). In that case your choices are

Older models: 128GB
    iPhone 6S+ $650
    iPhone 7+ $770

Newer models: 256GB
    iPhone 8+ $950
    iPhone X $1150

Even the previous gen is almost $800. Ouch!

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Where are these countries? I need to re-evaluate moving:p

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    lovelaptops, Bronsky and Starlight5 like this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Here Wind has a special offer to go with them that gives 1000 minutes + 15gb for €7.
    I was tempted to make a new number just for that. :D

Starlight5 and DRTigerlilly like this.
  10. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I don't think Apple tries to be innovative. (Claims that its devices break new ground generally come from fanboys who are ignorant of what the competition offers.) Apple's philosophy is that it's the second mouse to the trap that get the cheese. It lets other companies take risks on untried technologies, then Apple adopts these when the bugs have been worked out.

It's a big deal when Apple integrates something into the iPhone because it means that tech is now mainstream. Not because Apple makes things mainstream, but because it (generally) doesn't use tech until it's mature enough to be used by Joe Public.

Take inductive charging, for example. This has been struggling through standards wars, and not yet widely adopted because no one knew what version would be the standard. Now that Apple is in the game, accessory makers can be reasonable confident that it's safe to invest.