iphone considered a tablet?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Tobias, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm all for an Apple tablet, but I wouldn't say the iPhone is a MID. Especially considering the big middle finger Jobs handed out regarding Flash support.

There's a post on GearDiary on why the 'Apple experience' has been better than that of Windows Mobile (which I must admit is much more versatile): Apple is responsible for both the software and the hardware, therefore each device is a perfect fit and there's only one person to point fingers at when something goes wrong. Windows Mobile has to be a jack-of-all-trades just to keep up with the hardware diversity, and also means there are more things that can go wrong.

But like I said, I'm all for a dual-screen megamultitouch MacNote (what I would call an Apple tablet). Just make sure it has more than 1 USB port, if you catch my drift.

2. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Pen Pal - Newbie

Middle finger? Exaggerate much?

No, Jobs said that regular Flash can't run on the iPhone (as it can't run on most phones) and he doesn't feel like the Flash Lite that DOES run on phones is up to scratch yet. It is just too slow at the moment.

3. quantum

There are ports for both versions for Windows Mobile, both of which work fine on devices powerful enough. The iPhone is powerful enough for both, and it's not like we really want to watch HD content on the small screens of these devices, hence Flash Lite is quite enough for the Flash based content that's out there.

SDK soon... :)

4. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

everyone has valid points, but for the record, it does multitask. Right now I have 4 web pages open to switch between. You can also play music in the backround while doing anything other than watching videos. Its also continuously checking for new emails.

5. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Pen Pal - Newbie

The SDK makes me SOOOO happy.

I know nothing about code....but I WANT TO DEVELOP SOMETHING! :p

6. quantum

Here's some craptastic news: Apple will only allow 1 user program (ie. SDK developed program) at a time to run. Switching to another app will close the program...

7. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

I hope the programs will be decent... But I'm sure we have some creative developers out there. I cant wait for my iANO!

8. Naterade

Naterade Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a jailbroken iphone and a tablet pc, and I can vouch that the iphone is nowhere near a tablet pc. It is a very user friendly phone that I constantly use for email and scheduling, stuff that just about every other phone can do. Out of box functionality is not very attractive to me (especially without support for MMS) but with third party downloads after jailbreaking it make it worth the price to me. I personally am looking forward to the new Sony Ericson XPERIA X1 coming out in september, google it if you want to be amazed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. yodaxl7

yodaxl7 Pen Pal - Newbie

The current iphone is not a tablet like pc at all. However, once its software is upgraded, it comes close to being one. It is more like a pda with touch screen. If it had a slot for a memory card and it would be one even closer. They should make a tablet pc with the iphone functions. It would be cool that a tablet pc can switch b/n landscape and protrait rotating it. Plus, the safari web search like by the press on the screen to zoom in or out. Plus, the iphone can be the remote or other interface function with the itablet pc.

10. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

chriscannon, although I myself am biased against apple, I'm still fluent enough in os x to tell you that the iphone does not run os X. it runs it's own OS, which is iphone os 2, but amazingly it's still an operating system.

so I'll take your side as it is technically in my eyes micro tablet pc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.