iPhone 12 releases

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Oct 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Time difference makes it hard following Apple´s events. But from what I´ve seen there is a 12 mini which seems interesting. Obviously Apple thinks there is a segment for flagship phones that isn´t being met in today´s market. Also the MagSafe connection could be interesting based on Apple´s installed user base. There should be coming a lot of interesting accessories based on that connection. Android makers, being more diverse, and traditionally unable to agree on anything, might have problems catching up.

They are clearly putting a high priority on cameras. I hardly ever use mine so I find it fascinating that I must be an outlier (yeah, yeah, in other ways as well). Will we see a dwindling market share for the Canons, Nikons, Olympus and Leica of this world?

Chris_Kez and dellaster like this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

My husband thought he wanted the regular 12 or the 12 pro, until I handed him my Note 9 and he realized he needs the mini.

Chris_Kez, Bronsky and Kumabjorn like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dedicated point-n-shoots seem to be as dead as dedicated mp3 players in this world where smartphones do those functions as well or better and just about everyone has one. There’s only room for upscale DSLRs and audiophile devices, for pros or serious amateurs.

I like the iPhone Mini but I think I’ll hang onto my 2016 SE 4” until at least next year since it’s now on iOS 14, its fifth OS upgrade, and doing just fine. It probably won’t get iOS 15, but then again I really didn’t think it would get 14 so we’ll see.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The iphone 12 mini looks very interesting to me. I loved my SE, and was reticent to move up even to the size of the new SE2. I always wished they'd make a new SE that used the whole screen, and it sounds like the 12 mini is my wish fulfilled. It's smaller than the SE 2, and it's only a little bigger than the old SE, but with a bigger screen! Woohoo! :)

AND I get a better camera. I use my camera all the time. And low light improvement is something I'd actually like to be able to use for my nature photography. It's a feature on the current bigger phones, but not on the SE 2 or SE. So, I'm pretty sure I'll cash in my existing phone be upgrading. Camera improvement is one of the few things I actually look at when a new phone comes out.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Chris_Kez, Kumabjorn and dellaster like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yes, that one looks pretty sweet. The zoom camera (or the LIDAR) on the Pros doesn't do much for me, I basically never zoom in on anything on my phone. I'm also glad they're back to the boxy iPhone 4/4S/5/SE1 design, let's call it the Gizmodo style. :D Now if only my iPhone XS would be so kind as to stop functioning..

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yawn. Wake me when they actually move the iPhone to USB-C, offer Pencil Support, or offer a fold/dual screen iPhone.

Bronsky, alaskajoel and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here’s a nicely done comparison between the iPhone 11 Pro and the current “King of Compact Cameras”, the Sony RX100 VII with 24-200mm optical zoom and 1” sensor. Both ~$1200 as tested.

Spoiler: the iPhone loses badly in the telephoto competition, unsurprisingly.

Here’s that YouTuber’s comparison of the same Sony compact with Samsung’s S20 Ultra:

Spoiler: if you keep the hybrid zooming down to about 10x it doesn’t do half bad against the optical 8x of the dedicated Sony.

Give these phones another two or three generations and I could see the best of them matching or surpassing the RX100 in every category (except pixel peeping in Photoshop to see the fine detail that’ll be totally lost anyway in the typical social media post).

... Then you consider that the smartphones do a helluva lot more than photos and videos for the price of an RX100 VII (plus it’s the camera that is always with you) and you realize why dedicated compact cameras have been in decline and the last, best of them might soon join the dodo.
    80BC0700-3A2B-475A-8263-B13EA4E45087.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They look impressive overall especially in the area of computational photography .

I am however very annoyed that once again they are back to putting the best camera only in the most gigantic version:mad: I much prefer the size of my current 11 pro

JoeS and dellaster like this.