iPad Stuck on Headphones: Weird But Easy Fix

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Ed Hardy, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

When I woke up this morning, my iPad would only play sound through the headphones, even though there were no headphones inserted and I almost never use the headphones jack, as I have a Bluetooth pair from Plantronics I like a lot.

This wasn't a case of the tablet being on mute and me not realizing it -- when I adjusted the volume, the pop-up windows was clearly label "headphones".

Plugging in a regular set of headphones and unplugging them did nothing. The sound worked, but the device stayed stuck on headphones even when I pulled out the plug. I got the same result with my Bluetooth headphones.

I also did a shut down and restart, as well as a reboot. No luck,

I did some research and tried a couple of things. The first was "Reset All Settings". Still no luck.

Then I tried what I thought was a dumb suggestion: I got out a paperclip and tried cleaning out the headset port. I thought this was silly because I take good care of my iPad and I know the port isn't jammed with lint or anything else.

Still, much to my surpise (and happiness) I now have sound through the speakers again. I didn't find anything in the port to clean out, but it still did the trick.

So if this happens to you, try what I did.

2. Ahmelt

Ahmelt Pen Pal - Newbie

I just registered to say: it Worked for me Thank you! Same thing happened to me this morning with my mom's iPad and I tried what you did , Thanks a lot

Ed Hardy likes this.
  3. alex2020

alex2020 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same problem but they made me change my speakers. Cost me a lot too!!! :(

4. Cat Lover

Cat Lover Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm nervous 'bout the paper clip thing cuz i dont wanna mess it up but I'll try it.....

5. Cat Lover

Cat Lover Pen Pal - Newbie

:(-Didn't work :(:(:(

6. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Sorry! I was using an iPad 3 when I wrote that. What model are you having problems with?

7. Olivier86049

Olivier86049 Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  8. Debbiebeth

Debbiebeth Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried the paper clip and then I tried a Q Tip with rubbing alcohol. It worked. Thanks so much for the tip, saved me much grief and possibly some dough too.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  9. Lalagirl

Lalagirl Pen Pal - Newbie

My iPad mini 4 speakers say I have headphones in them out of the blue and I cannot figure out to fix them.

Attached Files: