Ipad Pro vs EMR

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by jbomb, Jan 18, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe Apples claim to that was 15-seconds for a half hour of Battery life. It was the same charging number N-trig quoted for their (unreleased) super cap charging N-trig pens. Which makes sense given the Apple Pencil is a good part that same electro static pen method.

While I do like the new charging method from a practical standpoint, I do see one fairly big potential flaw with this. Since the pen charges basically in stowaway mode......and everyone is going to be keeping the pen stowed away....that means technically the pen will always be charging even after moderate or light useage. There are ways Apple can probably counter this.....but constantly recharging/cycles could kill the Pencil 2's battery overall way faster.

I've had my Gen 1 Apple Pencil for about 2 years now and it still works pretty perfect....maybe not the 8-10 hours it was always touted by Apple....but it would still outlive my iPad if both were fully charged. But I'm also not charging the Pencil constantly.....I charge it as needed........but as my Pencil #1 is still kicking after 2 years.....Pencil #2 might not fare so well in the long run.

That being said....the usability/practically of the new Pencil can very much be viewed as a worthy trade off to overall lifespan. And I'm sure Apple would just love everyone's Pencil #2's dying right around when they release Pencil #3.

2. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

I assume the charge circuit is suspended (or reduced to trickle) when the pen hits 100%. I mean... if the iPad is smart enough to know whether the pen is attached to enable the circuit, and it can display the battery percentage, it would be pretty silly otherwise?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I meant more in the sense of charging it more frequently then overcharging. Like if my Apple Pencil v1 is at 100% battery life.....and I only sketch for 5 minutes....the Apple Pencils battery life would still be close to 100% so I wouldn't charge it after using it for the 5 minutes. I wouldn't charge the pencil till it got closer to 5 or 10% or dead. But with the Pencil #2, since the pens stowaway doubles as the charging port....if I had the Pencil v2 with the New Pro.......very likely I would charge it after the 5 minute use simply because that's how its stowed now. Basically the Pencil v2 would receive way more discharge/recharge cycles then Pencil v1 ever would.....so naturally that should degrade the battery faster.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Anything is better than having to swap in a new AAAA every few weeks!

Dell's first version of AES (on the Inspiron 7568) did not do well with regard to battery life. When the battery dropped below a full charge, so did the pen's ability to work effectively. I found it mildly stressful (not a day would pass when I wasn't tracking battery life and planning to stay on top of replacements. Who needs that?), and it was expensive, (it's an hour each way to the city and back to get more batteries, or I'd mail order them because they were not a popular size).

I ended up buying a set of rechargeable AAAA batteries, except those provided their own brand of irritation; NiMh rechargeables max out at 1.3 volts rather than alkalines which offer 1.5 volts, so I'd be swapping the damned things out every week or so on a couple of hours of daily use.

It was just one more reason I found it a huge relief when I bought a proper EMR tablet six months later!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That is pretty much my usage scenario. Which means it will almost always run out of power when I'm sitting in some cafe. Japan being the Paradise of cramped space I'm kind of forced to charge it with the iPad in portrait mode. Being an efficient productive kind of gal, I keep on working but it also means I have a five inch rod sticking up in the air.

Luckily, Japanese men are shy and restrained, but I can see them watching. And I want to tell them: "No sir, I'm not advertising".

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

6. Hydraulic Potato

Hydraulic Potato Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not about charge/discharge cycles per se (you are only doing partial cycles), but Li-ion does degrade faster at higher voltage states (close to 100%). That could perhaps be remedied by Apple building in extra capacity and never charging the battery above say 80%.

But does the v2 use Li-ion or still use super capacitor? I'm not sure about how a capacitor degrades vs a Li-ion, but it makes sense that the dielectric medium would break down faster under higher potential difference. But again, that could be controlled too.