Ipad Pro vs EMR

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by jbomb, Jan 18, 2019.

1. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Everywhere I look online I see how great the ipad pro with apple pencil is... I've had wacom emr tablets for years, from Toshiba, to Fujitsu and now a samsung pro. I've used the samsung tablets too. Now they don't have art programs on the ipad pros in the stores so I can't even try it. In fact, it's kind of confusing how to even get the apple pencil to work. But I digress...
    I know this board really tests things, so I was wondering, is the Apple Pencil all that? Is it worth checking out compared to some of the Wacom EMR technology? For instance, is the ipad pro with apple pencil a better drawing tool to the Samsung galaxy s4?

2. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

IMO the Apple Pencil feels similar to Wacom AES, but without the jitter. The moment I pick up an spen and try it again, I remember how much better EMR is. So basically, EMR > Apple Pencil > AES.

batty likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I prefer the Pencil.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

EMR>Apple Pencil
    BUT
    iOS ecosystem>>>>Android

I suspect you mean Galaxy Tab S4?

batty likes this.
  5. jbomb

yeah, that's what I meant. I am not a Mac guy. and I understand if you like apple that makes sense, but I was wondering if the apple pencil was so much better that I should move away from wacom emr for windows or android. I don't doubt the apps you can get for ipad are better than android. progreat and clip studio seem cool.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you're happy with EMR you should stick with it. Just beware that it looks like Wacom is moving towards AES. I use both EMR and iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. EMR pens are more comfortable to use but EMR and Pencil are just as "smooth", just beware that some members complain about Pencil making a tap sound (that I haven't experienced). Pencil 2 is an improvement on the first generation since it dropped the Lightning connector. I tend to use the adapter with Apple's charger since I'm always afraid that some idiot will come and topple my iPP and break of the connector (living in an earthquake prone country doesn't help either). However, the magnetic charge on AP2 means that you always need to have it attached when not using it. People are reporting that the magnets are strong, but how strong will they be three or four years down the road?

If you use a pen for primarily art I believe the iOS eco system still have a way to go, especially if you need to exchange files or are part of a work flow.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the larger emr s-pen from the notebook 9 pro, as well as the 1st gen apple pencil. They are very much on par with each other, the only differences I can articulate on is the physical aspects of each device. The apple pencil is heavier, longer, and has a higher center of balance, and I have to lean in more to reach the maximum pressure level ie opacity or brush size.

The large emr s-pen is much shorter and much much lighter, which makes controlling it almost feather-like. I feel I can be more precise and I don't have to adjust or change my grip on the emr s-pen as much as I do on the apple pencil. And I don't have to press as hard to reach maximum pressure.

Honestly the main appeal of the apple pencil is its pairing with the 2018 iPad, which allows you to create on-the-go anywhere on an amazing budget price. If price and portability is not a concern, then I would stick to emr pens.

WillAdams and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If this is the case then I would recommend something like the 2018 iPad vs the Galaxy Tab S4. In this instance the Apple ecosystem is livable with simply because of the price. I myself was in the hunt for a couple of years for a portable device and waited till the new iPad Pro but at the end - I couldn't justify the new 12.9 iPad's price being a minimum of 3x the price of an ordinary iPad.

Max out to the model most suited for art (wow... 6GB RAM [sarcasm]) at £1719 and that is 5.5 times the price of the budget model....

9. jbomb

??? the ipad pro is quite expensive.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do find that kind of odd myself. When the Apple Pencil first debuted.....all the iPads had Adobe Sketch preinstalled.....and then sometime after....they had Procreate pre-installed on them......I'm assuming Apples contractual agreements with Adobe and Savage Interactive ran its course....but I find it kind of perplexing they now don't have any Drawing Software pre-installed....especially given they release a New Ipad and Pencil.

He's not refering to the Pro, he's refering to the Non Pro Ipad 9.7 that was released last year with Pencil Compatibility.