iPad Pro validates Surface ecosystem

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I do like the fact that Apple's adoption of a rechargeable pen could help set the standard, even though they are a bit late to the party. That might push the design of Windows device pens toward the rechargeable Wacom type in the TPY 260. In that sense, competition can't hurt.

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Right, but there's this ghastly perception amongst people who don't really write that heavier pens are better quality. I'm glad Apple didn't buy into that.

Probably I'm going to buy a spare TruePen and then take a rasp and tap it on the exterior of mine until it has a suitably textured surface.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

A rising tide lifts all boats. I'm happy the Pencil is here. It's good for all pen users, IMO. If more tablet users start using a stylus because Apple uses one, that will most likely be good for everyone. All the better if the stylus is actually good.

Would I infinitely prefer to see this on a bigger, more robust MacBook or a smaller, cheaper, more portable iPad? Yes. And perhaps we'll get there. Retina displays have made their way around. And for all the grousing about high pixel density we had at one point, I prefer a nice HD screen over the old 1280 x800 stuff we used to have. So, good on Apple for helping push better screens everywhere. If this pen tech was on a MacBook Air or Pro, I'ld be looking at maybe buying one right now. So, it's not the Pencil I have issue with, it's that they've attached it to a very overpriced tablet running iOS.

I think it's also worth saying that the newer Wacom tech floating around in newer Windows devices, or Synaptics, etc is also very different from the old EMR stuff. So, it's that tech we really should be comparing the Pencil to, not the very responsive tech in older tablets, or in Cintiqus. In which case, the Apple Pencil looks much better to me. Imagine if you could by one of those really very good Windows laptops, but instead of the pretty sh*tty pen they give you, you got one of these? That would be nice. I would not be complaining, I would be buying.

Although many Windows devices have had pens for quite a while, the slow push for thinner and lighter, as well as the move to cheaper pens that are really "only for note taking" instead of responsive art-making, has opened the door for a good stylus like this might be. Would I really probably prefer an older EMR pen like the ones they had in Motion tablets, back when they provided really smooth, responsive pen pressure AND accuracy? Yes. But if I compare this new Pencil experience to what I've seen from Windows companies nowadays.... Well, I might prefer this new tech.

I'm really just waiting for them to shove it in a MacBook and allow me to rip the screen off. I'd pay a premium for that.

WillAdams, Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  4. jtyoung1

jtyoung1 Pen Pal - Newbie

You can buy them on Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I would love for the next Surface (maybe the SP4?) to have a rechargeable pen. Honestly, at least to me, it's not that big of a deal but it is an extreme convenience. I have yet to replace the AAAA and watch batteries in my Surface Pen (I've had it since the S3's launch) but it would be nice not having to worry about always have an extra set with me. They don't take up much space and were very inexpensive on Amazon. But still, it's like going from noise canceling headphones that rely on a AAA battery and ones with a rechargeable built-in battery. The end results are the same and they each have their pros and cons, I just prefer devices with built-in batteries.

Now I'm really looking forward to the event next month from MS though whatever they announce will have to wait.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Crack open any 9-volt battery and viola, instant AAAA

http://www.instructables.com/id/9-Volt-Battery-Hack/

Or better and safer, just hit Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-6-N...qid=1442257666&sr=1-2&keywords=aaaa+batteries

VERY SAD, but true...

Not so much anymore - since client's started getting Word/Office with new computer orders in the early 2000's, everybody wants their documents ".doc" for internal massaging.

Yes - IF and only IF - they use a capacitor based stick which charges in its own silo!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I tried a panasonic 9v and turns out their 9v isn't a just a couple of AAAA batteries.

8. dgeffs

dgeffs Pen Pal - Newbie

Same thing at the law firm I work for. All mobile is either Apple or Blackberry and all desktops and laptops are PC's. Storing work on the cloud is forbidden so I don't know how we continue to use devices which rely on the cloud.

If Onenote was able to use the pen on the iPad Pro and store items locally I might even consider one. There just seems to be a built in bias against the Surface. I only know of one lawyer in our firm who uses one. I know two staff members who have a SP3 including myself. Perhaps it used to be about cost but not anymore. I guess I just don't get it.

Kumabjorn and Bronsky like this.
  9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Luckily, our state Supreme Court (NJ) has okayed the storage of mandatory records electronically and we are now permitted to use cloud storage. I still don't use cloud storage, mainly because I don't need to, but the larger firms are doing it. I think they even use on-line document repositories.

And, yea ... I don't get it either.

Mesosphere likes this.