iPad Pro validates Surface ecosystem

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Do you know why Apple's MAC platform is losing business? Because it is staying in the clamshell or die mentality. The market is progressing to 2-1's and has been for quite some time.

Now they release a giant iPad, that costs as much as a laptop, but lacks file system and "PRO" features. On top of that the accessories are $169 for a keyboard, and $99 for a pen. We're talking ultrabook range prices for a device that cannot run apps besides the crap from the Apple App Store.

Yet we're gonna keep hearing from CNET and other media outlets praising on its industrial design, and aesthetics, while pushing the envelope of function meeting elegance. Blah!!!!

Having been a long time apple user during the Power G3/G4/G5 days, this is move along with the Apple Watch clearly shows, innovation has stopped in the walls of Cupertino. A watch that lasts less than 24 hours, and a tablet that cannot be your daily driver yet is marketed as a pro device.

Get real Apple, you are out of touch.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

In my profession, IPad probably has 90% of the mobile device market. Most lawyers use Windows software on their desktops and laptops at the office but use IPads for all of their mobile work. I have never understood it, but see it playing out every day. There are numerous Continuing Legal Education Courses teaching lawyers how to use their IPads in practice. There are tons of apps directed at legal work such as time keeping, billing and word processing. But, I think the popularity of the IPad among lawyers is due to the education and promotion of the Apple fans who have been advocates for their devices in the past. I can just imagine how psyched some lawyers are at the release of the larger IPad with a pen. A pen!

The Surface and particularly the Surface 3 is really a game changer but my profession seems not to have recognized that yet. Where are CLE courses in using the Surface as a litigation tool?

So, even though the IPad Pro doesn't come up to the standards of the existing Surface Pro 3, there is still a market for it with legal professionals (who usually don't care how much it costs).

3. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

There are two issues to consider, how feature rich the iOS version is in comparison to Windows and how well integrated OneNote is with other programs on the platform. I really like the tight OneNote integration between Outlook and the browser. I don't think that MS will ever be allowed that level of integration within iOS. So no way to simply file an email in a OneNote folder, or to write OneNote notes directly on a web page...

And if you're using the iPad Pro to observe the content you're taking notes on (e.g web page, email, PDF reader), then the jury is still out as to how well the multi-tasking will compare with Windows. I'm guessing it won't be as smooth.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Unless I've been misinformed I believe WordPerfect still rules in the lawyers's domain. Are you saying there is an iOS app for that?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

That's a good point. Also, things like copy pasting screen clips which requires some OS level integration would be needed. I don't know if iOS has this now, but they didn't during my failed iOS experiment (iPhone 3G).

I guess what I should have said was that the iPad pro is now a device that mostly meets my tablet needs (without the pen it was not even close), but where it falls shortest for me is that it is completely inadequate as my laptop replacement. My S3 is my only laptop (that isn't collecting dust).

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

There are fewer and fewer of us Word Perfect hold outs. When it was the default word processor of the Federal Court, it was still popular. With the Federal System and most states moving to Word, it has become the default word processor. Anything submitted to the Court that is not a PDF is submitted in Word. Most lawyers I know now use Word. You could call it progress I guess. My office uses both but I have a clear preference for Word Perfect as it is still produces the most easily manipulated documents.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As big of a market as I'm sure that will be....I can't help but ponder how it will compare to the market the Ipad Pro is gonna find in Art community, particularly with Art/Design schools & studios. Despite Windows penabled Tablets PCs being around for well over decade, and Samsungs S-pen well dispersed amongst the populace....the grip Macs have in the artist community as far as I can tell is as strong as ever. Like I can totally see the "Ipad Pro & Apple Pencil" being a requirement for students at art schools in the very near future. And I venture to alot of life drawing classes, Dare2draw, and Dr Sketchy sessions in the NYC area for many years now....and ipads of old with fat foam styli I have seen far more commonly than tablet PCs. Like for every tablet PC in the crowd (mine) there would be at least 2 ipads. Now admittedly there are times when I'm the only Digitial artist in the crowd....but I do talk to alot of other artists at such events...the ones using traditional pencil/paper because schleping around their Macbooks with a Intuos or Cintiq is too cumbersome. And despite pens wildly being used with Surface Pros and Galaxy Notes.....the consensus I seem to get is that people don't equate Windows or Android with a Pen as suitable for art.

But now with a bigger Ipad.....and an Offical Apple Pen.....mark my words by next year, (or the year after when I'm sure the Apple Pencil will be expanded to included the smaller ipads) those Apple Pencils will be everywhere....and they will outnumber any other penabled tech in the wild

8. Kumabjorn

The only thing that surprised me about the pen is how cheap and plastic it looks. Apple is usually more concerned about protecting an image of quality and high class brand.

Skickat från min SGP412 via Tapatalk

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Given how slick my TruePen is (currently wrapped in blue painter’s tape), or how tired my hands get when writing w/ a heavy metal-bodied pen, I’m really glad to see practicality win this one.

10. Kumabjorn

Aluminum is hardly heavy.

Balbutio ergo sum