iPad Pro validates Surface ecosystem

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Check out the charger connection here.

http://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/

Looks very fragile.

Would much prefer to keep a spare AAAA battery in my Surface sleeve.

2. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sorry, but Apple's keyboard is an abomination. It looks like a functional and ergonomic monstrosity compared to the Type Covers.

3. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

And I just noticed that there isn't any trackpad.

I would much prefer to travel with a Surface and an extra AAA battery (but don't need one for my SP2) than having to worry about charging that fragile Apple Pen. Assuming you're charging your iPP at night, when do you charge the pen? Because you're using the "pen charging slot" to charge the iPP.

Utan-chan and Aman like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay. Enough of this stuff. Bring on the Microsoft event.

Utan-chan, Aman, gcoupe and 1 other person like this.
  5. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Until s
    Until some fool BENDS HIS PENCIL WHILE CHARGING IT.

Utan-chan and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I too eagerly watched yesterday's event mainly because I am in dire need of a new smartphone. I wanted to see what they were going to offer and, really, the 6S Plus did not disappoint. The Apple TV even looks pretty good and that has needed an upgrade, badly, for the last few years. The iPad Pro completely disappointed me though. It looks like a nice device but it's really just a big mobile device with Surface Pro 3 pricing.

A lot of people harp back on the Steve Jobs video where he said nobody wants to use a stylus but that was 8 years ago. Technology has changed since then and I would even argue that MS didn't really get things right until the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3. Still though, I would not pay $1080 (or $1330 for everything) for a device that ran a mobile OS. Mac OS X? Maybe, then you could get real desktop performance with a desktop OS. For an iOS device? Absolutely not. I don't care what Apple says about the A9X, it doesn't do it any good when you are still basically running one app at a time with the option of running two side-by-side for quick sessions.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thing is, a lot of people wanted a stylus when it was a plain stick w/ a resistive display --- the hard part is getting the interface right and Apple had done that w/ the Newton. The Newton MessagePad and its OS were quite well done, and very usable. All it needed was a bit more processing power and that was delivered w/ the 2100.

I'd like to see Apple leverage the Pencil stylus so as to allow one to use it w/ both the smaller iOS devices, and to do a full-fledged Mac OS X tablet which can use it.

The other thing I'd really like to see would be a laptop which would have the trackpad as a detachable unit, the same size / shape as an iPhone/iPod Touch --- pull the trackpad and slot in one's iPhone.

Aman likes this.
  8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just keep up to date with Microsoft's offerings and then mark your calendar for 3 years later. Should be a fairly accurate timeline.

9. specialized888

specialized888 Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

For my tablet needs, the iPad pro looks like it is basically only an expanded version of OneNote away from qualifying as a viable replacement to my S3... but it still has no chance as it simply cannot replace my S3 in the laptop role that it also fills. Not that it would matter if it could. All else equal I'd choose MS over Apple any day. Not that I think MS is perfect, but Apple's design philosophy is just too far out of step with me. I don't want basic features held back for years while apple makes sure they "just work"...