iPad Pro 9.7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by JoeS, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

An opinion article from TechnoBuffalo you might like:

The author has embraced his 9.7-inch iPad Pro as a second computer for both work and personal use. I have come to agree that tablets under 10 inches are not best suited to be someone's only computer. That's a not a knock against the smaller iPad Pro, because there are plenty of people who want a 2-in-1 as a second computer. But those who want a detachable to be their only PC should get the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That pretty much reflects my experience. My productivity task is writing and it is so much simpler with the attached Smart Keyboard. With my Toshiba there was a minute or two of startup procedures before I could go, with the iPad most of the time I don't even need to login to the coffee shop Wi-Fi.

I will say though, with the Toshiba I could also write in portrait mode giving me a better overview. Doing that on the iPad requires that whole setup procedure and you still don't get a full A4 page to view.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

dstrauss, Ed Hardy and WillAdams like this.
  3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone been using the ipad pro 9.7 as their daily pdf annotator/notetaker? I have a Samsung galaxy note 10 from 2014. Stylus on board is great but..

My ipad battery life especially factoring in sleep mode battery drain means in practice ->
    ipad air battery >>> Samsung Note 10 battery life

Also been thinking about getting a windows tablet for notetaking that is light enough/doesn't overheat much so I can use it on the couch /bed but one advantage the ipad pro 9.7 has over it is the much better camera/zoom ability. I haven't checked in a while but I don't think the windows default camera app has pinch to zoom and also doesn't automatically upload to dropbox

4. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I've seen myself writing more and more on the ipad pro, though expected only to sketch and draw on it, will obviously never be able to replace the desktop, small area only good for mobile and travel environment, along with it's great battery life, even in pro create ect. makes it a great note and sketch tool to be having with you, when space is limited.

At first, I kept a full windows os laptop with me, when out, just in case, now I just have my ipad pro 9.7" with me, needless to say, my time outside, is suddenly so lightweight.

easy to upload to onedrive, google drive ect. and especially easy to export from apple file to a more universal one, in most cases.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's an interesting proposition (9.7 as your moleskin replacement) but it really needs a siloed pencil...

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

WillAdams likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Pretty interesting, but I really like the thinnest package possible.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Do we know wat this "new Wacom stylus" is? It's mentioned in an iPad app update:

upload_2016-11-8_22-13-37.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A serious question to ask you guys who own an iPad in the 9.7 format, no matter what generation. Can you hold it with your not-dominant hand (I know it can't bee called submissive, but I don't know the exact term) while manipulating the screen with your dominant hand?
    I'm thinking that Apple did extensive research and found this to be the optimal size. However, I suspect they forgot to measure this on women's hands as well. I can barely get my fingers around the back, hence the support is insufficient when I start writing or using pen with my dominant hand and it feels like I will drop it any second.
    But muy guess is that the rest of you don't face this issue.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I can do that with the 12.9, so I guess it won't be a problem with the 9.7...