iPad Pro 9.7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by JoeS, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Utan-chan

Utan-chan Pen Pal - Newbie

Weird. Maybe something's happening on Microsoft's and Apple's server lol. I have a SP2, S3, a Lumia 930. They all sync pretty well within minutes just like your iPP-SB sync. Let's say on a OneNote page that has 5 checklist items, I add another item to the list using my Lumia, and my SP2 is also currently on that page, the 6th item will appear on my SP2 in less than a minute (within 10 seconds if I'm on a fast connection). The same applies if two devices switch places. Of course when I first set up my S3 and it has to sync ALL of my notes, it's gonna take a while to download them all, but after that, syncing wasn't that bad. I barely use OneNote on my S3 though so I can't speak for its reliability, but I can say it's reliable to sync between the SP2 and the Lumia. Maybe syncing between PC (Surface) and Mobile device (iPad, Lumia) is faster somehow?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have one notebook that has major sync problems on all platforms, it sends GB after GB up to the cloud every day, but once or twice a day I get an error message that OneDrive can't be found. Despite sending, say 6 GB during the day, my Android devices will receive only one or two updates pages. But by far the worst culprit is actually my iOS version of OneNote. In sections with a few hundred pages it will only receive content for the first page. The rest is in constant sync limbo.

I can't be 100% sure, but I think part of the problem is that the notebook isn't completely uploaded to the cloud yet, and it seems that the iOS version will not download until a section is completely uploaded. In another humongous notebook, one that is completely uploaded, those problems aren't present.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, my simple(ton) solution is to go back to the SP4 and one device, except for emergencies. However, because my SB is in transit for repair/replacement, I picked up an Apple keyboard cover for the iPP and have been amazed at how good Word, Excel, and Outlook are with the keyboard. FileBrowser and the VPN have given me complete access to our server files, and with the exception of using only one screen at a time (so love have 5-6 Windows open generally), this is the best tiny Windows tablet yet.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

See, I told you. Knew you would come around to the dark side, also known as ninja fruit side. You do know that you can (sort of) have two windows open side by side? My iPP has become my portable device by choice, the Asus and Toshiba is in permanent hibernation.

5. dstrauss

Yes, I've used split screen, but the 9.7 is so small it is of little value unless I hook up to a regular monitor with the AV adapter. Even then, you can't get two instances of the same program (two Word docs).

FYI - check out my "confession" over at the SB thread - bet that stirs up a hornets nest!

6. Kumabjorn

No it is clearly not as useful as windowed apps on a legacy Windows machine or even the MUI version. But it works ok for little things like if you prefer to create your e-mails in Word and copy & paste it into the mail app. It would clearly have been a more rational solution if the apps were stacked instead of side-by-side.

Addendum
    Does iOS support Miracast?

7. dstrauss

I don't think iPad supports Miracast, but I seem to recall there is some sort of wireless connectivity through an Apple TV device? The AV adapter has power in and HDMI out, and that works pretty well for most instances, including projectors for presentations.

I think it actually works even better than you mention, as I edited a full document off our server last night in Word. Really pretty amazing and impressive given the limitations presented - and the "tiny-ness" of the overall system. If they ever added mouse support, it could be serious competition for both Windows and MacOS...

8. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

iOS 10 will bring the ability to display two Safari tabs next to each other on an iPad screen, and I hope Apple will see the wisdom of enabling all third-party apps to have two panes open. That might not be until iOS 11, though.

9. dstrauss

That would be helpful, but not critical for my use. The Surface Pro 4 will be the go to heavy lifting machine. It's just nice to have the iPP for backup (kind of like that extra packed in your boot top).

10. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

The Logitech CREATE Backlit Keyboard Case for 9.7-Inch iPad Pro is now available: