iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This rumor is interesting. On the one hand, I can see Apple wanting to have wireless charging across the board with their I-devices. OTOH a glass back is likely to make the iPad both thicker and weigh more, unless they manage to cut the weight and thickness somewhere else and practically speaking that would likely mean a smaller battery.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22518167/2022-ipad-pro-wireless-charging-new-ipad-mini-2021-date

On the third hand, it does fit with Apple's previous cadence with introducing a new design after typically three iterations or so of a current one.

dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Surely you meant “on the gripping hand”. ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    WillAdams likes this.
  3. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I went as far as taking a 22in Cintiq to life drawing, connected to my Cintiq Companion 2. People couldn’t mistake those for iPads ;-)

After giving up on the Windows tablet PC dream, I got an iPad Pro and occasionally took that to life drawing. But nothing could really beat an A2 sketchbook with actual bond paper, and an actual graphite pencil.

The Windows sphere just hasn’t come up with something as accessible and effective for artists as the iPad + Pencil + Procreate.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A man after my own heart. However I tend to find graphite gives me a shiny surface so I prefer pure charcoal or a charcoal pencil. Wolff's carbon pencils will give you the most beautiful deep black.

To remain sort of on topic - I'm very interested in the rumour of a new 14 inch Samsung Galaxy S8 as a rival to an iPad Pro. Previously and I'm still probably going to get it - an M1 Mac Mini connected to a 16 inch Wacom will give me that larger drawing surface - a portable battery pack would give me some form of portability if needed. Some of the portable battery packs look like the old Bren ammo box though and I've carried enough of those around not to want to do that again.

[​IMG]

However this is an iPad Pro thread so I'll slink back into my corner...

COGBABY likes this.
  5. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I like the sound of that 14in Galaxy S8, but I’ve never been convinced by Android as a tablet OS.

Also slinking back into corner…

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. dellaster

Since when has being off topic stopped discussion here? ;):D

doobiedoobiedum, COGBABY and JoeS like this.
  7. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder what percentage of iPad Pro owners are using their device for professional purposes most of the time…

And I wonder what percentage of Apple Pencil owners use that device intensively…

My own !st Gen Pencil just died, after almost four years of pretty intensive use. Not a very long time, compared to other styluses out there?

It’s almost like there needs to be some legislation for this usage of “Pro” in consumer products…Well, it’s not called Pencil Pro, hmmm.

dellaster likes this.
  8. dellaster

It’s just a marketing thing, like tacking “XL” on the end. It indicates a somewhat upscale version, “better” and more expensive than the base version, nothing more. Bragging rights with ownership. One should never take marketing flourishes literally. :p

COGBABY likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I wonder what percentage of iPad Pro owners are using their device for professional purposes most of the time…>>

@COGBABY : Speaking for myself, I use my iPP only occasionally. As I explained elsewhere, I originally bought it because I wanted to stay conversant with iPadOS which at the time was evolving in interesting ways. Since then, I've come to appreciate the polished job that Apple has done melding hardware and OS...

<<...I wonder what percentage of Apple Pencil owners use that device intensively…>>

Up until recently, I haven't used my Pencil 2 much at all because of the awful hard-plastic-on-slippery-glass feel. However, I recently bought a screw-on replacement tip (or nib), the IFELI low-friction tip, and that has made the Pencil 2 noticeably better. Still not perfect, though...

COGBABY likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator