iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Anatomy advantages aside :) My daughter much prefers the 12.9 too. But she uses it primarily in her lap or flat on a table.

My usage is almost exclusively with tablet in one hand and pencil in the other.

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Lucky you, mines are too small.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Size don't matter, firmness does.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

***** is definitely back :D

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You lob a soft ball to me and expect I won't smash it?

JoeS likes this.
  6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I’m kind of surprised you all have been totally silent about this supposedly-leaked CAD files of the new iPP, but at the same time I totally get it. It’s not all that exciting.

A few sites have suggested it’s going to be slightly thicker, which sounds good. They think it might be more rigid and the camera assembly won’t pop out as much. I also heard a rumor that there will be a black Pencil coming out around the same time.

For my part, if it has the mini-LED and it’s all its cracked up to be, and the battery life is roughly doubled, that will be enough for me to take the hit even though I haven’t even had my damn 2020 iPP for a year. My whole purchasing history is an idiotic bloodbath of bad luck and needless expense, but I think now I’m finally about to land on something I might actually use for the golden coveted 3 years, thoroughly wearing it out in the “natural” way (namely the screen and battery), before coughing up the cash for a replacement. I’d love it if there are some changes to the Pencil, like maybe improved palm rejection or a design where you insert the nib instead of screwing it on, but I won’t hold my breath.

Random observation about the Pencil nib I’ve never seen written: It’s nice and huge like a big piece of graphite, but unfortunately you’re not allowed to touch it with your finger the way you might on a real pencil in certain side-shading instances. Doing that confuses the sensor and utterly breaks the pressure curve, so you have to make sure your finger is above it, but it ends up not being a huge deal since there is still enough space.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...My whole purchasing history is an idiotic bloodbath of bad luck and needless expense...>>

Really??? And what makes you think that makes you special around here...???

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

violajack likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I mean...yawn....it looks the same as the previous gen. Most likely deliberately to retain compatibility with the accessories like the Magic Keyboards. I have a 3rd Gen 12.9 Pro I bought over the summer, and really nothing in the 4th or this 5th Gen compels me to update. I would like some updates to accessories, like a Magic Keyboard with more Angels, like a drawing mode. I plunked down the full $300+ for the Magic Keyboard, and despite how much I liked it at first, quickly I developed buyers remorse. (Getting the new M1 Air also somewhat reduced my need to type on the ipad). And I would like to see an Apple Pencil v3 with a backend eraser and/or physical side switches and perhaps different tip options. However since I more or less recently just bought the Magic Keyboard and Pencil v2, I'd also be fine not having to buy updates for a good while.

10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not even if Apple put a true M1 chip in there and morphed iOS closer to full AppleOS? (on the Pro iPad only)

This article makes the case for just how close the iPad was compared to previous Macbook Airs and how that has changed again with the M1 Air, leaving the proposed new IPP (as being suggested) exactly where you started your comment - with a "yawn."

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-apples-m1-macbook-changed-my-mind-about-the-next-ipad/

Have to say I'm happy with an ordinary iPad 10.2 - not much beyond a serious upgrade to the iPad OS / inclusion of 1 more port would make me buy an iPad Pro from an art use standpoint. If the iPad could seriously double as a word processing / file handling tablet when I need and an Art tablet the other 90% of the time - I'd be happy to upgrade.