iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, uh, I think the new one is out. I was expecting it to wipe the floor with my face in terms of buyer's remorse, but... the hell? Looks like mini-LED didn't even make it in!? Skimming the apple site and Cnet, it almost seems the same as the 2018 model except they poured everything into the camera/AR. The new keyboard is neat but seems no good for drawing, so you'd still have to buy one of those easel accessories unless you just roll with it as-is like I see many people doing.

Maybe I'm missing something but let's just say, right now, I'm very happy with what I bought last November instead of waiting.

JoeS likes this.
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

The only thing it's got going for it as far as I can tell is that its base config is now 6gb RAM. I would much rather *not* have the expense of that fancy AR/camera set up.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

iirc the GPU speed was also quite a bit higher, but yeah, other than camera and keyboard, it seems like a minor upgrade.

4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep minor update , but upgraded to give my wife IPP 11

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The real upgrade is the new keyboard and integrated mouse support. I'm sort of waiting for iPad OS 14 in the Fall to see what I think. If I was ever going to make a shift, that would be the time. Either I like the device and the OS will now meet my needs (tried 2 years ago, and it was a no go), or I need to get off the pot and just get a good, big, 2-in-1 windows upgrade.

They have checked off all the big boxes that were my complaints though. I've gotta give them that.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was able to go to the office and get the sample that Apple is loaning us today. I won't be able to fully test it at home because of some specific tools I don't have but I am playing with it now.

Initial impressions are that it doesnt feel any faster then my personal pro 11. I wouldn't have thought so, but the extra two inches makes a big difference in usability for good and bad. On the plus side apps like pages and word with the new mouse trackpad support are a joy on this machine, and the (older) keyboard is considerably more comfortable than the one on my 11. And Netflix looks great!

On the downside, the Kindle app looks beautiful, but it's quite fatiguing to hold the tablet to read books for more than half an hour or so. Same thing with one of my main iPad apps, procreate. Normally I use that with iPad cradled in one arm and pencil in the other. The 12.9 is just enough bigger to make that awkward and uncomfortable after few minutes. OTOH my daughter loves the extra display space with it in her lap.

So far it doesn't seem any faster than my 11 in use. Apple did send us some AR demos which definitely have a "wow" factor, but I don't know how much it will translate in to real world use.

Anecdotally the low light performance of the rear cameras is improved over the older generation , though not hugely. Take that with the caveat that I virtually never use my tablet as a camera.

More impressions to come and hopefully we will get one of the new keyboards soon.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it's quite fatiguing to hold the tablet to read books for more than half an hour or so...>>

My reaction to the 12.9 inch form factor as well, and why I ended up buying the 11 inch model. Even at 11 inches, I find the iPP to be a bit heavy...

9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like the bigger one, went form 11 2018 to the 12.9 2020....and I use it in bed all the time and its not bad. I am also a fat f**k and I lay it on my stomach.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A built in device stand. Tried that with my boobs, alas not firm enough. Besides it gets too close to the face, 'fraid I'd go blind.