iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

As a Microsoft Surface user, I had a hardy chuckle at this tech announcement today.

This is no April Fools, sadly: “The Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro will be available for purchase in May for $299 (US) for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $349 (US) for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with layouts for over 30 languages, including simplified Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.”

If it is anything like their last few releases of iPad keyboards, it probably still feels like dipping your fingers in mashed potatoes with mushy, low travel distance keys.

As for the price, suddenly, the Surface Pro 7’s Alcantara Type Covers look like an absolute bargain with much better quality to boot!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    JoeS, darkmagistric and dstrauss like this.
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Crazy pricing but it looks pretty fab to me

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks so much @sonichedgehog360 ! Was shocked to see the new "Magic" Keyboard will work with my iPP 11 (2018) - those prices are EXTREME nosebleed, but a lot better than having to upgrade everything.

4. dstrauss

Looks to me like the new MBP 16 keyboard in an iPP size:

"The portable and protective design of the Magic Keyboard delivers a full-size keyboard with backlit keys and a scissor mechanism that delivers 1mm travel, delivering the best typing experience ever on iPad."

But you are right, still looks like the Surface Keyboard is better - BUT - that floating screen design looks to be a big advantage over the Surface Keyboard plus kickstand design if it is stiff enough. I'll be giving it a try in May when released and will report back.

JoeS likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The floating thing looks weird to me......given how thin the back cover is.....I really don’t see how the iPad won’t wobble. It’s like fake zero g.

The iPad itself....meh.....however the keyboard itself does look nice....glad they went more with a MacBook keyboard aesthetic over.....whatever they called their former iPad keyboards. And despite the price....I imagine this will be a very top seller. I can already the see the legion of iPad users at a Starbucks totally rocking this keyboard as soon as the plague is over.

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  6. dstrauss

:newpalm::vbbiggrin::thumbsup::hi:

darkmagistric likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do have two questions about this new iPad....

does the New Apple cursor work with the pencil?

And the Keyboard cover kind of rather ingeniously has a USB-C port in its hinge to allow passthru charging while keeping the iPads USB-C port open for accessories.....but visually speaking....when using the new ipad with this keyboard....you effectively have a usb-c port on both sides.....but can that keyboard USB-C port be used for data as well? I’m assuming not since it most likely just magnetically conducts power to the iPad....but that would be a nearly nice touch if Apple could engineer that.

8. dstrauss

I would guess the power is coming through the pogo pins on the back of the iPP - just don't know if there are data lines as well, and my guess would be it is limited to power for now and expanded to data for the 2020 iPP later this year.

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I haven't read anything about the cursor being applied to the pencil, so I don't see why they'd change that.

The keyboard is pricey, but if you want it, it may be the best game in town for an iPad. I admit, it intrigues me. First I said I wanted a stylus, and they gave it to us. Then I said the Pencil's charging method sucked, that it had no buttons, and that it was too "tappy", and they fixed those three thigns. I tried it out when the iPP3 was new, and the new Pencil on the bonded screen fixed a lot of issues. Then I said I wanted a keyboard and a trackpad, and here now we have that too. Will it stand up to pressure? I don't know, but I never expected the Surface Pro kickstand to work as well as it does, and it can take quite a lot of pressure, so who knows?

I'll probably give it a go in the fall when iOS 14 comes out. There are supposed to be a host of trackpad refinements for it. I don't personally see a need for the new iPad Pro Gen4, but prices will drop for the 12.9 Gen3 once the new one comes out, and since the Magic Keyboard and Pencil 2 will work on it, that seems like it would be a good test. I imagine I might finally be able to do basically almost anything I would normally do on a laptop, if I had a true functioning clamshell keyboard and trackpad, plus the Pencil.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Promo video showing some use cases. It's got lots of shots with people picking the iPad off the open keyboard stand. That's a little different from the Surface Pro: Apple's design makes it easier to use it as a true tablet, whereas with the Surface Pro I'd basically never take off the keyboard. But: with the Apple approach: no keyboard = no kickstand. I'm honestly not sure what I like better, for now I think the MS approach is more convenient.

Lilawyn and Marty like this.