iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Am I missing something? I thought the new Pros could output 4k60 to an external monitor. Neither HDMI 1.4 nor charging-only USB-C can do that...

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, they put in low-end converter.

Though to be fair, nearly all IPP video adapters are 'low-end' in that respect (so much so the folks on MacRumours thought 4K60 wasn't possible :D) and even Apple's own USB-C adapter only does 4K30.

The only converter I've come across that confirmed outputs 4K60 is the Belkin USB-C to HDMI adapter. Though it may be a while before those converter boards hit the cheap Chinese aftermarket for modders/DIYers.

Let's just hope the next iPad Pro goes full TB3, then we can have true docking solutions for the professional market without the guessing game. ;)

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  3. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

For any artists who use the iPad, how hot does it get when drawing? I tested both the 12.9 and 11 in iPad at an Apple store the other day and noticed the 12.9 got uncomfortably warm at the bottom of the screen in landscape mode, right where I rested my hand most often. The 11in was also warm, but not as much as the 12.9. I tried 2 different floor models, and unplugged the charging cable to verify it wasn't due to charging and it still felt very warm.

Is this a normal thing or maybe just an issue due to them being almost always plugged in floor models running demo software?

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

As a Microsoft Surface user, I had a hardy chuckle at this tech announcement today.

This is no April Fools, sadly: “The Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro will be available for purchase in May for $299 (US) for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $349 (US) for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with layouts for over 30 languages, including simplified Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.”

If it is anything like their last few releases of iPad keyboards, it probably still feels like dipping your fingers in mashed potatoes with mushy, low travel distance keys.

As for the price, suddenly, the Surface Pro 7’s Alcantara Type Covers look like an absolute bargain with much better quality to boot!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    JoeS, darkmagistric and dstrauss like this.
  5. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Crazy pricing but it looks pretty fab to me

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks so much @sonichedgehog360 ! Was shocked to see the new "Magic" Keyboard will work with my iPP 11 (2018) - those prices are EXTREME nosebleed, but a lot better than having to upgrade everything.

7. dstrauss

Looks to me like the new MBP 16 keyboard in an iPP size:

"The portable and protective design of the Magic Keyboard delivers a full-size keyboard with backlit keys and a scissor mechanism that delivers 1mm travel, delivering the best typing experience ever on iPad."

But you are right, still looks like the Surface Keyboard is better - BUT - that floating screen design looks to be a big advantage over the Surface Keyboard plus kickstand design if it is stiff enough. I'll be giving it a try in May when released and will report back.

JoeS likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The floating thing looks weird to me......given how thin the back cover is.....I really don’t see how the iPad won’t wobble. It’s like fake zero g.

The iPad itself....meh.....however the keyboard itself does look nice....glad they went more with a MacBook keyboard aesthetic over.....whatever they called their former iPad keyboards. And despite the price....I imagine this will be a very top seller. I can already the see the legion of iPad users at a Starbucks totally rocking this keyboard as soon as the plague is over.

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  9. dstrauss

:newpalm::vbbiggrin::thumbsup::hi:

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do have two questions about this new iPad....

does the New Apple cursor work with the pencil?

And the Keyboard cover kind of rather ingeniously has a USB-C port in its hinge to allow passthru charging while keeping the iPads USB-C port open for accessories.....but visually speaking....when using the new ipad with this keyboard....you effectively have a usb-c port on both sides.....but can that keyboard USB-C port be used for data as well? I’m assuming not since it most likely just magnetically conducts power to the iPad....but that would be a nearly nice touch if Apple could engineer that.