iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

I put together an imgur album. The lesson I took from this sample is that if you don't want to obscure your screen... look into clear (i.e. not matte) screen protectors. Visibility is terrible for all these matte protectors for any dark content, and I try to use dark mode as much as possible, including when taking notes.

As for white-background content, I included 4 shots with the glare in focus, and 4 shots with the content in focus. The most noticeable diffraction was with the MXT protector. You can't really tell in the photos, but you can see that I've written "horribly grainy/RGB effect on white" over that one.

After a couple days taking notes over them, I will add that the "sqeak" to the MXH (25% matte) protector pretty much went away. But I think the opacity kills that as an option. The "blowout" from spreading the glare was actually pretty bad (indoors, in 'ordinary' fluorescent classroom lighting) on all four protectors. For me, unacceptably so.

I'll be looking for clear/non-matte ones.

2. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ipad+12.9

Aside from storage and resolution, is there anything else I should think about deciding between the two? Is gen1 a bit sluggish for web browsing in practice? Too heavy in practice?

Right now I look at the cheapest options in the link of amazon, the resolution looks fine. But I don't have a sense of how much 2017 vs earlier model will do speed wise/overall experience wise.

The 2017 one seems to only have 64 Gb, then 256 GB options (850$ for latter) which is a bummer.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Has anyone checked out the MagicDock kickstarter that recently launched? Basically turn your IPP11/12.9 into a mini-Surface Studio:

[​IMG]

Attaches magnetically, with additional docking connector for rear I/O: 3.5mm audio jack, HDMI 1.4, USB 3.0, and USB-C (charging-only):

[​IMG]

And it has one trick even the Surface Studio can't boast—portrait mode!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Price is very reasonable at $99/$109 for IPP 11"/12.9", with the only slight disappointment being the port selection. But given the price, it's still quite attractive. Heck, it's even less than a Smart Keyboard Folio! :thumbsup:

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Panos Panay should be proud of Steve's design...since I've been burned on Kickstarter several times, I think I'll wait and pay full price if it ships. It is a great design (my snark aside) - just wish it had a few more ports (like an SD card reader and USB-C I/O, not just power).

Actually, I am hoping for a Brydge II keyboard design with trackpad and HDMI, USB A, and SD Card reader - then we are talking.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That looks slick, too bad it's only for the 12.9 and not the 11 as well.

Meanwhile in rumor land, Logitech might be revving their current keyboard folio for the 11 and 12.9 to add a trackpad. Still would be heavy and hard to remove, but would make it more useful.

PS: The route that could take according to Apple (and true for all companies) is if they release such a device they would need an app to best add and control the additional functionality.

The example they sited was some of the advanced headphone from Bose and Sony and others that use both regular Bluetooth for the audio functions, but in addition Bluetooth LE for the customizations.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  6. Marty

There is an IPP11 version too (decided to post in the IPP12.9 thread because that's probably the main target audience).

Check the $99 Early Bird tier. ;)

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks!

8. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Am I missing something? I thought the new Pros could output 4k60 to an external monitor. Neither HDMI 1.4 nor charging-only USB-C can do that...

9. Marty

Yeah, they put in low-end converter.

Though to be fair, nearly all IPP video adapters are 'low-end' in that respect (so much so the folks on MacRumours thought 4K60 wasn't possible :D) and even Apple's own USB-C adapter only does 4K30.

The only converter I've come across that confirmed outputs 4K60 is the Belkin USB-C to HDMI adapter. Though it may be a while before those converter boards hit the cheap Chinese aftermarket for modders/DIYers.

Let's just hope the next iPad Pro goes full TB3, then we can have true docking solutions for the professional market without the guessing game. ;)

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  10. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

For any artists who use the iPad, how hot does it get when drawing? I tested both the 12.9 and 11 in iPad at an Apple store the other day and noticed the 12.9 got uncomfortably warm at the bottom of the screen in landscape mode, right where I rested my hand most often. The 11in was also warm, but not as much as the 12.9. I tried 2 different floor models, and unplugged the charging cable to verify it wasn't due to charging and it still felt very warm.

Is this a normal thing or maybe just an issue due to them being almost always plugged in floor models running demo software?