iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm trying to go truly paperless this semester (in for my second bachelors, physics this time).

I know OneNote has added a digital ruler in some versions that is pretty slick- but I don't think it's in the iOS version. I use Notability for lecture notes and GoodNotes to markup PDFs. Notability would probably obviate the need for a physical ruler (it has for me). When you draw a line, if you want it to be perfectly straight, you just hesitate after drawing the line, but before lifting the pencil, and it will snap to position. It's way more convenient than, e.g., GoodNotes dedicated shape recognition tool, because it's always available while taking handwritten notes.

Printing your powerpoints to PDF should be pretty trivial, actually. You can share to PDF from the iPad, but worst-case you could print to PDF from a PC using something like BullZIP PDF Printer (free online), save them in OneDrive, then import them into GoodNotes. That's how I get PDFs from my school's site to the iPad: Download → OneDrive → GoodNotes. If you do end up taking notes with the Apple pencil, you might like GoodNotes better for their paper templates.

I came from OneNote on a Windows tablet, and the most refreshing change has been printing/sharing my notes. What used to be a semi-weekly struggle to format/rearrange my handwritten notes so that they would fit nice page templates in OneNote, has turned into... just clicking print. For sharing, Notability is automatically backing up my notes as a PDF (with a separate audio file when I record), so if someone emails me a question, I don't have to go hunting for that note and print it to PDF or anything; it's just already in OneDrive, ready to be shared. The audio playback in the app is pretty slick, too... I don't know how OneNote implemented this because I never used it, but Notability darkens all your notes, then brightens them back up as the audio gets to the time you wrote them. Well, at least it does for me, because I'm writing light-on-dark. If I click a specific handwritten word or equation, it jumps the audio to the time when I wrote that. Pretty cool.

(I swear I'm not being paid by any of these app companies, or Apple.......)

Here's a sample I threw up on imgur for Reddit.

dellaster likes this.
  2. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Apologies I am trying to make sure I understand what you are doing

1. You are currently somehow using GoodNotes, OneNote, and Notability all at once? Or just Notability on ipad?

2. What would you do if your main goal was to be able to have classnotes you can most easily convert (after making backup copy) into a flashcard like format? For my biology and memorization classes, this would be my main concern

There are cornell notes (attempting to put terms only on left column of page), or a strategy trying to start new lines on a page early to make it easy to cover stuff up/quiz self, which I might try. But then there are classes heavy in powerpoints (which beg to be just annotated after printing at the white space after each slide) which throw a wrench into this.

3. The other thing I am interested in is the "record the voice and sync with a movie of your inking during lecture" feature. Which app do you think is best for that? Sounds like Notability on ipad?

AveSharia likes this.
  3. AveSharia

1. Close- I used to use OneNote on Windows. Now I just use Notability and GoodNotes on the iPad, but for different assignments. The screenshot I posted is just Notability.

2. It's a good question, and I don't think there's a great answer. I try to highlight equations in a different color as a take notes- for biology, that's going to be like 80% of your notes. I haven't found a good workflow for handwritten notes → flashcards.

If you are using OneNote, something I used to do is to use an outline as a flashcard by collapsing the details of my notes, and/or changing (typed) text color to white. Then, you reveal answers by un-collapsing, or selecting that white text. The downside is you get all the same information, in the same order. So it's not good for remembering random facts. I would probably make a separate Anki deck for stuff like that.

3. I haven't tried GoodNotes audio recording because I don't use it to take notes- so I can only recommend Notability.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  4. paprikaleapt

Out of curiosity what kind of assignments do you use for each?

I wonder what the difference could be that would make it worth it to end up dividing your notes between three apps- and split between two devices?

5. AveSharia

As I said before, Notability for note-taking and GoodNotes for filling out PDFs (for example, homework assignments prepared by the professor).

I'm already using two apps anyway, because I also use GoodNotes as a PDF reader. It's advantageous to have 2, because then you can place them side-by-side with iOS multitasking. That's the same reason I use GoodNotes for fill-in-the-blank homework: I can have Notability open right next to it with my lecture notes, or as a scratchpad. Everything goes into OneDrive as a PDF at the end of the day, so I have access to everything on mobile.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  6. paprikaleapt

If you ever use a product like the below to make the screen have more friction, could you tell me how it goes? I am considering the below, not sure if it is better than a regular screen protector
    https://paperlike.com/

7. AveSharia

I think I may pick up a screen protector given how much time I've spent wiping away fingerprints... but it probably won't be a paperlike one. By all accounts, that's just an ordinary matte screen protector with an unusually high price.

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I concur.
    I bought one once and it wasn't better than any of the others I got from Amazon for cheap.
    Photodon is probably the only company that sells different kinds of matte screen protectors, I'd suggesg to try their sample pack in case.

artistebot and AveSharia like this.
  9. AveSharia

Nice! I had just taken the matte screen protector off my Note and it made the screen so much clearer that I resolved not to get one for the iPad.

But the Photodon sampler is only $5 and comes with a $5 off coupon, making it basically free if I decide I like one of them. Great tip!

Edit: I ordered the matte sample. I'm interested how nicely the "25% anti-glare" will play with the screen.

artistebot likes this.
  10. AveSharia

So I got my Photodon sample pack today, and applied all four of the samples to my IPP. It's a bit disappointing, though I'm leaving them on for a day and trying to take pictures and make notes. The 25% anti-glare "paperlike" protector is the only one that doesn't unacceptably obscure the screen, but it's a bear to draw on. It drags like writing on a ziplock bag. :( My hand hurt after the usual "The quick brown fox..." and it actually squeaks intermittently while writing! Yikes.

I'm beginning to not even give a damn whether a protector prevents glare, so much prevents fingerprints and doesn't interfere with writing and drawing.