iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Out of curiosity what kind of assignments do you use for each?

I wonder what the difference could be that would make it worth it to end up dividing your notes between three apps- and split between two devices?

2. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

As I said before, Notability for note-taking and GoodNotes for filling out PDFs (for example, homework assignments prepared by the professor).

I'm already using two apps anyway, because I also use GoodNotes as a PDF reader. It's advantageous to have 2, because then you can place them side-by-side with iOS multitasking. That's the same reason I use GoodNotes for fill-in-the-blank homework: I can have Notability open right next to it with my lecture notes, or as a scratchpad. Everything goes into OneDrive as a PDF at the end of the day, so I have access to everything on mobile.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  3. paprikaleapt

If you ever use a product like the below to make the screen have more friction, could you tell me how it goes? I am considering the below, not sure if it is better than a regular screen protector
    https://paperlike.com/

4. AveSharia

I think I may pick up a screen protector given how much time I've spent wiping away fingerprints... but it probably won't be a paperlike one. By all accounts, that's just an ordinary matte screen protector with an unusually high price.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I concur.
    I bought one once and it wasn't better than any of the others I got from Amazon for cheap.
    Photodon is probably the only company that sells different kinds of matte screen protectors, I'd suggesg to try their sample pack in case.

artistebot and AveSharia like this.
  6. AveSharia

Nice! I had just taken the matte screen protector off my Note and it made the screen so much clearer that I resolved not to get one for the iPad.

But the Photodon sampler is only $5 and comes with a $5 off coupon, making it basically free if I decide I like one of them. Great tip!

Edit: I ordered the matte sample. I'm interested how nicely the "25% anti-glare" will play with the screen.

artistebot likes this.
  7. AveSharia

So I got my Photodon sample pack today, and applied all four of the samples to my IPP. It's a bit disappointing, though I'm leaving them on for a day and trying to take pictures and make notes. The 25% anti-glare "paperlike" protector is the only one that doesn't unacceptably obscure the screen, but it's a bear to draw on. It drags like writing on a ziplock bag. :( My hand hurt after the usual "The quick brown fox..." and it actually squeaks intermittently while writing! Yikes.

I'm beginning to not even give a damn whether a protector prevents glare, so much prevents fingerprints and doesn't interfere with writing and drawing.

8. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

If you get a chance, would be curious to see a picture of your screen to see how much the protectors are obscuring the screen. That's my main concern with getting one for my iPP 10.5.

9. paprikaleapt

Anyone considering the older ipad 12.9 inch?

Looks like there are some 550$ ish refurbished older ipad 12.9 inches.

The lack of magnetic pen is a bummer but if it drops price anymore, it seems like a nice device for biology related apps or memorization apps or non-pen work.

Since I don't plan to do any heavy duty tasks like video editing, I don't think the power will be a big issue. So it seems the only issues aside from price are larger weight of the older 12.9 and the lack of magnetic pen. Oh and storage. I guess I don't have a good sense of how much storage is enough but I plan to download plenty of apps + download plenty of pictures and pdf's with pictures.

Lisa seems to have ripped off a metal pen clipper though it wouldn't do me much good because I don't really plan to get a keyboard

10. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

One thing to check is which generation. There are is actually a gen 1 and a gen 2 iPP 12.9, which look exactly the same but have some spec differences.

My iPP 10.5 (same generation as the 12.9 gen 2) is probably the best piece of tech I’ve owned and still runs beautifully and is also great for sketching.

I would suggest minimum 128gb but that’s personal preference. It just sucks if you go for a lower storage always having to keep an eye on it and constantly deleting stuff to make room.

paprikaleapt and Kumabjorn like this.