iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How are you liking the 12.9 inch? What do you find you end up using it most for?

2. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

So far I'm in love, but it's still the honeymoon, right? We just picked it up Saturday. It's just a gorgeous slice of metal. It feels impossibly thin. It's actually 1.7 mm (so like 20%) thinner than my damned cell phone. I'm still on a Note 5, so that's probably not that impressive anymore.

It's definitely a super painless content consumption device. It's tough to not just pick it up and click YouTube and start tooling around. I'm getting used to the whole no-home-button thing, which causes some frustrations. It has been a learning process getting iOS to understand whether I want to just pull up the app bar, or switch apps, or close the app I'm in.

I do a lot of copying and pasting a problem into my notes, then solving it with the pencil. I wish there was a better way to snip a part of the screen with a screenshot in iOS. Right now its:
    1. Push the volume up and power buttons simultaneously,
    2. Click the screenshot preview,
    3. Crop to where I want it,
    4. "Share" to the clipboard,
    5. Exit/delete the screenshot,
    6. Swipe/Multitask to OneNote,
    7. Change to the text tool,
    8. Long press to bring up the context menu,
    9. Click paste,
    10. Resize to my liking.
    ...which is a lot of clicks for something that could hypothetically be, I dunno... 4 instead? It's still miles easier than it ever was using the snipping tool in Windows' tablet mode with a stylus. ::shudder:: Siddhartth posted some videos of a couple iOS apps in the "Are you buying..." thread that might make this a little easier.

As for use cases, I got it to replace my Helix (gen 1) for note-taking (class and work) and drawing/painting (fun). So far I've done quite a bit of scratch-note-taking for my Chem final, but I won't really put it through its paces until I start up classes again on 1/9. I was thinking about trying to transfer some of my OneNote stuff to some more iOS friendly app, and I'll probably try to get a workflow sorted out between now and then.

I bought and downloaded Procreate, which I have used a bit on my girlfriend's old 10-inch iPad. It's going to take some getting used to. Heretofore I had used Photoshop CC on my Helix, which is pretty tough to beat from a brush engine standpoint. I am really looking forward to trying to exploit tilt/barrel rotation.

kneehowguys likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't use OneNote on my iPhone, but in step 4, in addition to "share to clipboard" I also see an option Share to OneNote (can be enabled under 'More' in the share sheet). Does that not work?

4. AveSharia

Hmm I looked for and didn't see it yesterday, but I'm sure there's a deeper menu in the "Share to..." that has it. Once I use it once it may jump to the top. The real question is... where is that going to put it in my notes? Almost certainly not the page I have open. :/

(I'll give it a shot tonight)

JoeS likes this.
  5. AveSharia

For fun: Here's the notebook page that made OneNote 2016 choke trying to rearrange handwritten blocks (on my GF's old iPad, obviously):

[​IMG]

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Holy smokes! I take it you're allowed to bring one piece of paper with notes to the exam, and this is the microfiche that you designed? :D

doobiedoobiedum and Azzart like this.
  7. AveSharia

It's so much worse than that... we were allowed 4 pages, front and back (8 sides). I ran out of time before I ran out of space or things to write down, so I had two pages like the one above, and then 6 pages of random stuff pasted from my "normal" notes. :oops:

JoeS likes this.
  8. AveSharia

So those fears were well-founded. "Share to OneNote" will add the screenshot into a new page in an existing notebook, which is obviously a PITA if I want multiple screenshots in one page, which I almost always do.

I have discovered that GoodNotes has a pretty competent PDF viewer that will let me screenshot a lassoed selection, and share that to the clipboard. I can also have two sets of notes open at once, so I can have both the PDF and my handwritten notes open, and switch between them. Why they can't be side-by-side, I can't fathom at all. It's such a commonsense choice. I keep thinking there must be an easier way yet, and I think that might be to just use a different notetaking app. (Notability?) I now have like 6 of them. :/

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is pretty dope. Impressive, OneNote. *claps*

10. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone (such as a biology major student) used this ipad for school?

I am playing around with the idea

The ipad seems to have better biology apps with libraries of flashcards/mnemonics (picmonic) than microsoft tablets. I haven't really looked into what's available on android but I assume it would be slightly worse than the ipad's app store for this.

I don't think I would end up using this for notetaking in class, but I do see some students do this and swear by it - my experience with styluses is that
    1. They don't always play well with physical rulers in real life, which I like using when taking notes
    2. My fingers seem to tire more
    3. For classes involving lots of powerpoint lectures, my experience has been printing off the slides with white space underneath each slide beforehand and annotating them seems to be the best way to go

Though I guess probably there is some way to do this on an ipad? Something analogous to that "print to pdf" option in powerpoint on a windows laptop that can let you specify that you want white space after each slide?