iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thinking more about it, it might simply be an elegant way of distinguishing say grip changes from intentional tapping. That seems more like an Apple thing to do.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The inclusion of a capactive grid is interesting....but the real question is if its capable of touch function beyond registering taps.. or if it Apple would even let it....regardless if it could or not. But I would love to be able to resize a brush by way of a finger gesture on the pencil.

JoeS and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any non artist with the 12.9 inch ipad?

1. What do you find yourself using it most for?

2. What were the most disappointing things about the device?

4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a 12.9 pro and zero (visual) art skills.

1. I use it most for displaying sheet music in performance/rehearsal.

2. I have tried off and on to see if really could replace my computer. Since everything I need can be done either in Chrome or in an app on either iOS or Android, I had used a Chromebook as my primary computer for a while. I thought I could easily do the same with Chrome on iOS on the iPad. But inevitably it would fall flat on some task or other than was just completely not doable on the iPad. Usually, something to do with printing to a PDF then sending it to someone, or opening a ZIP to get a single file out of it, or like today when I thought I should answer this question from the iPad and then see how far I could get using it today, but got nowhere because I needed a file off a CD. So general software road blocks would be the most disappointing thing.

On a side note, I have the logitech keyboard case with a kickstand and it makes the thing into an oversized surface pro with a fantastic pen experience. The keyboard has a good feel too (coming from someone who is currently typing on a classic thinkpad). So if it weren't for the road blocks in workflow, I'd be happy to use it as a primary device.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I tried an iPad Pro a few months ago. They're lovely. I wish it had a full desktop browser though. That's one of the big shortcomings for me. I need to run the backend of stuff like Squarespace or the online version of Sketchup Pro, and I can't from the iPad currently, even if I force load the desktop version. I either need some of these companies to make an appropriate touch-friendly app (totally doable by squarespace, but not there yet), or I need a desktop-compatible browser and some sort of mouse/ trackpad compatibility (or using the pencil?).

A lot of other stuff I can get away with just fine. Text selection for real longform writing is also hard though.

I wonder if some compatability stuff will come into existence with the type-c port on the new ones? I tried the new pen, btw- a clear improvement in balance, friction, and pen "feel" IMO. Amazing that the 12.9" tablet is only 1.4 lbs.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Such a good point. For a long while, there was the perception of the iPad as a toy and though Apple has largely addressed this from the hardware side, it's really only those whose very specific needs are met by the iPad or those happy and willing to spend £Kx2 on more than one computer that can see the point.

I was originally a huge defender of the iPad but now I can't do that anymore. Apple won't change iOS until the market forces it but iPads sell really well - there's no getting away from that.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, the problem is Microsoft keeps seeing that success and dumbing down their working stylus system to match.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone with the new 12.9 inch ipad had any issues with youtube 4k videos? My current ipad air 2 often caps the resolution at 480p or 1080p, not even showing higher options, whereas my surface book 2 has no such issues which detached using the same wifi.

9. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks to a generous girlfriend (I assume I did something right!) I picked up a 12.9/256GB IPP for my birthday this weekend. It only took me three years and three months from starting this thread. :oops:

Initial impressions are great. My desktop computer has been choking on my handwritten OneNote notes, and I had planned on moving to a different note taking ecosystem, but the IPP seems to not even stutter. The default Notes app is hot garbage- palm rejection was worse than no palm rejection at all. The OneNote app actually lets you choose your hand orientation. Cool stuff. I might still try GoodNote or Paper to see if I can't find something that can organize a couple hundred pages of notes, without losing pressure sensitivity.

My first real power session was studying for a Chemistry exam last night. The ipad doesn't ship with a calculator for some reason, but apparently you can download third party calculators that will float over OneNote/Acrobat/Safari so I didn't have to keep suspending my main window to do quick calculations.

Also, all the heartburn I had about whether the 12.9" would be too heavy seems just silly, in retrospect. The thing weighs nothing.

I'll have to check the YouTube video resolution when I get home- it never even occurred to me it might be capped because I've never had a >1080p device.

JoeS likes this.
  10. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Dug into this yesterday, and you're right: No YouTube 4K on iOS. Apparently Apple and Google have a difference of opinion about video codecs, which of course always leads to a great consumer experience. Bummer.

I will say that every time I launched a "4K" video I told myself "Wow this is gorgeous! Surely this one must actually be 4K!" before looking at the options and seeing "1080p (max available)." Supposedly some other video providers will supply 4K video using Apple's codec, but I didn't get too deep into it. I tried Amazon Prime Video, but didn't see any quality options or indicator of what resolution I was actually viewing.

I still need to try PLEX, Vimeo, Twitch, etc. I spent almost the entire evening last night just downloading apps!

kneehowguys and JoeS like this.