iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@thatcomicsguy in Procreate there are several options to decide what you want to do with the pencil and your finger: if you set your finger to do nothing it will do just that. Same goes for pressure curve. You can also set the behaviour of tilt on a per brush level and there's also two or three different levels of palm rejection to try in case the standard doesn't work properly for someone.

Also, when it comes to Microsoft if it's not the latest device with the latest pen it's not worth trying

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Is that because it gives you the latest disappointment experience? :rolleyes:

thatcomicsguy and Azzart like this.
  3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Thats really interesting, i just tried my biddies new 12.9 and i could not tell any difference from my gen 1 ipad pro. Still slick glass feeling. I remember when my ipad was new it felt more sticky, but then the feeling went away as it got oily from my hands.

Im ashamed to admit how much i still use my little ipad pro. Its not up to production work, but its great for sketching, idea creation, or photographing a oil painting to import into procreate to then paint over when i get stuck and need a high speed low risk way to test ideas for the painting.

My biggest gripe with the pencil is the charging system. It never fails the pencil is always dead, unless you turn it off in bluetooth its constantly draining. I take mine everywhere so its always low on battery. I really wish apple would just buy wacom. wacom sucks at building computers but i still like the EMR the best., Apple makes nice tablets but the pen tech is not that great IMO.

I get allot of gliches on my ipad pro with touch and palm gestures like you noticed. No amount of fussing with the settings has fixed my issues . It has something to do with the way i draw and hold my hand. I always fire undo and redo accidentally. also allot of buttons on procreate only work part of the time. I prefer the wacom touch system that just locks out palm when pen is in range. much easier to adapt to than the glitches i suffer on my ipad pro. I wonder if part of it is the age of my ipad pro.

I think apple would kill wacom if they just did a cintiq like screen mode (with ability to be color calibrated for pro's), and offered a bigger slate. Well that and more RAM would be really nice.

WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I discovered that switching Bluetooth off and then on again on the iPad will turn the pen off and keep a charge longer. Off course, you'll have to insert it to pair again.

Marty and WillAdams like this.
  5. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

yes i have tried that, but that sucks, i just want it to work. sometimes its slow to reconnect the pencil or it glitches and wont connect. That is hardly something you want with a digital notebook/sketchbook.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Oh, I agree. Jony Ive's input was probably a bit too strong on that decision. Taking the cap off and on ought to accomplish the same thing. Sometimes you need people with actual tech acumen to achieve great design.

7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

haha, yes.

well it is pretty, has low latency and good accuracy. So its a good stylus. They deserve credit.But Its a little irritating they have taken so long to update the pencil. hopefully the new one fixes the gen1 issues.

8. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Agree re. the Pencil running out of charge. Thing about EMR is it drains the tablet’s battery much more quickly. Apple would never allow that...even in that fantasy world where they buy Wacom haha...and anyway they are already far faaaar too big!

DaniJoy likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Do you have a source for that? The level of EMR digitizer power drain on laptop batteries has been considered and researched a few times on this board over the years. My own understanding is that it is fairly negligible among the collection of power-drawing parts which make up a computer.

Though, I can't recall if anybody has produced an actual use/wattage comparison chart.

DaniJoy likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I agree with @thatcomicsguy - I don't think battery draw is that relevant an issue with Wacom EMRE digitizers. In fact, when Microsoft switched to N-Trig the story was cost and the thickness of the display stack. Since Microsoft just went ahead and bought N-Trig they "solved" the cost with an admittedly inferior technology (at that time) and since Samsung was able to build an ultrathin smartphone using the EMR stack, the other excuse was a red herring as well - it really came down SOLELY to cost for Microsoft.

DaniJoy likes this.