iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You owned a NeXT Cube - that explains a lot :vbbiggrin::vbbiggrin::vbtongue::vbwink:

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I never had one. They were just ridiculously expensive. But every friend who owned one, to this day swear it was the best damned computer they ever had.

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was an amazingly nice device, especially for the time --- I actually was using similarly specced machines running Windows 95, Mac OS 7, and NeXTstep --- really regret not getting OPENSTEP running on my ThinkPad.

While I can't imagine running (or wanting to run) Win95 or Mac OS 7, I'd be fine running NeXTstep now.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been hanging on to see what the 2018 iPd pro is like - if they remove or shrink the bezels in keeping with the new iPhone I'll get the 2nd generation model instead. I need bezels to hold the thing - making it a bezel-less model makes no sense. Mind you - if they offer 8GB in there I'll have to think again.

Portability isn't the biggest thing for me anymore - I can thank the weight of the HP 2760p that I just sold for putting me off tabletpcs for that.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well Hot-Diggity!

I was in the local office supply box store, (the only laptop and tablet retailer in the region), and asked as I regularly do if they had an Apple Pencil to try out.

Holy crap. They did!

It has been... how many years since the iPad Pro came out?

Well, I finally got a chance to try one out! Whoopie!

The assistant went into the mythical "Back" of the store and came out with an Apple Pencil he'd seen tucked on a shelf somewhere. We had to plug it in to charge it up for a few minutes. I guess I was the first person to inquire.

We used it on the latest 12.9" iPad pro, and I got to try it out in Procreate.

I realize my first impressions are a few years late, seeing as how the latest trends in Paris can take a few years and a steamship ocean liner to make its way to the colonies, but here they are...

The line quality was excellent with no wobble to be seen beyond the slight and acceptable margin of error one might expect from a top end piece of digital drawing kit. The pressure sense works as expected, though I didn't put it through any real testing. It got thicker when I pressed harder. Good. -The angle awareness also worked, but seemed a bit off. (The pretend, "side of the pencil shading" effect was mis-matched to the nib and thus a bit weird and fake-seeming, but whatever. It's not an obtrusive feature and you could probably learn to use it if you wanted.)

It appears Apple listened to their customer feedback in regard to the tactile experience, because there was a comfortable amount of friction between the nib and the glass. It had good drag with none of that teflon super-slick feeling I've seen reported in other people's reviews.

Palm rejection was crappy, and the device didn't seem to know when I wanted to scroll the canvas or finger-paint, and rogue dots appeared here and there. I'm generously assuming that this was simply due to the fact that this was a display model not properly set up with the drivers tuned to the user's preferences.

On a display behind me were a bunch of Microsoft products, so I was able to try out the Microsoft Surface Pen for comparison on one of the latest Surface tablets. I'd not tried a Surface pen since the original Surface Book came out, so that was also a nice thing to experience. -Though it was clearly an older pen model, so I have no idea if things could have been better with more recent releases. Still, on the tablet side, the line quality was much improved over my original encounter, but still was pretty poor with plenty of observable wobble in the line. -And the cursor hover was downright distracting and bad, lagging far behind the nib and not matching up at all until I put the pen down on the glass. What a clown show! Microsoft really stinks at the pen game, at least with the hardware I was trying out.

Anyway.., back to the Apple Pencil... All in all, I was quite impressed with it. -I liked the friction of the pencil nib on glass, liked the accuracy, but wasn't enthusiastic about the much-lauded Apple finger-touch GUI, which surprised me. I thought Apple had perfected that whole area beyond reproach! Nope. My Samsung Notebook 9 Pro and my Dell Canvas both do a far, far better job of integrating pen and finger. (To be fair, both iPad and Pencil were was as I said, display models which had not been tweaked to my personal taste. It might be a much better situation once you get things set up right.)

Anyway, it was great to finally try out the Apple device! They did a really solid job with their Pencil tech.

Now.., if they could do it all with a grownup OS and pro level software... Then they'd be cooking with gas! But otherwise, I was quite impressed..! Nice job, Apple!

(Closes speech to an empty room where the party decorations are scattered, the balloons have drifted to the floor and the waiters are impatiently checking their wrist watches as I pack up my notes.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    batty and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

(peeks in room to see if this is where I dropped my $99 pencil, surprised to still see someone in here)

DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

I think it might have actually BEEN your pencil. That's probably the only reason they had one on hand.

JoeS likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

WACOM!

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I was really dissapointed Apple hasnt announced a new model. I dont really get the rumors of an 11" model and a 12.9". There is that really enough of an increase to justify a bigger model? Give me a 13 or 14" screen and I am in.

10. thatcomicsguy

My sense of humor sometimes takes an absurdist Andy Kaufman bent.

I think it might be fun, with a straight face and zero irony, to start a YouTube channel which does tech reviews for equipment that came out 20 years ago as though it was all fresh off the factory floor. -With the same kind of upbeat energy of a Lisa Gade and the cultish glee of a Mac Rumors report.

Marty and fivetoedsloth like this.