iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

Speaking purely from a professional standpoint, I don't think the Cintiq Companion and iPad Pro are competing directly because of the OS. I know plenty of people who work for various gaming and animation studios, and they all use Wacom products ranging from the 27 inch to the Companions (not the android hybrids). Pro-pipelines and programs require heavy file management, and I just don't see that happening on any mobile OS. Imagine a scenario where a designer needs to utilize various existing tools like: Photoshop (and all the CC tools), Clip Studio, Zbrush, Maya, Resolve, etc. How is that particular user (Cintiq Companion/Surface Pro/etc) going to abandon a full OS machine for an iOS one? Not only are the tools not available (and I don't believe the majority will be), but there's also the heavy use of the cloud.

I'm not saying that I don't want Apple to create a nice stylus that would compete with Wacom or N-Trig. I just think it's a massive waste on the iPad. Personally I'll wait for the Surface Pro 4 :)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They don't compete directly from practical stand point for the reasons you and everyone has been listing, but for Apple's marketing viewpoint, none of those logics matters. They just people to make impulse purchases and they know they've won.

3. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Software aside, how is the pencil comparing to the Wacom pen in SP1&2 and the NTrig pen in SP3? From the videos, the pencil does seem to be very fast and accurate.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

We won't know until it is released in November. Media is too biased, either pro or con. Personally I'm looking forward to Surfaceproartist test driving it. I think that will be as close as you get to an unbiased neutral review.

Balbutio ergo sum

WillAdams and surfaceproartist like this.
  5. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

So, it is pretty much confirmed that this device got 4GB under its bonnet.
    Source

IMO, potential wise in Apple ecosystem, they may come up with interesting stuffs with this, say screen pairing or something like MS continuum. I don't know how and when they will deliver this though.
    Now I'll just wait the stylus review after rigorous testing

Ed Hardy likes this.
  6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

It's worth noting that Arstechnica mentioned the Apple Pencil isn't all that comfortable to draw with for extended periods, citing the plastic surface as slip-prone. My initial excitement over the utensil kind of diminished. Between that, the realization of the limitations of iOS due to the ongoing discussion here, and other reasons, I opted to pre-order a Vaio Z Canvas.

Looks awesome though, and maybe over the next year they'll make surprising levels of progress with what you can do, in other words Adobe and Autodesk end up getting more powerful versions of their apps on it that seriously bring into question why you need OSX or Windows. Of course 90% of it comes from a seasoned user (look at what people have made with Gimp and Blender).

7. Kumabjorn

Interesting point, it would be kind of interesting to see what kind of art that can be produced by apps running under a mobile OS.

Balbutio ergo sum

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The same you can do on a pc.
    That was true even before the existence of the iPad pro though.

9. Kumabjorn

If that is true why are artists complaining about the iPad Pro running a mobile OS?

Balbutio ergo sum

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The creative act can make use of the limitations of a tool and go beyond them.

The problem is the iPad Pro being an iOS device limits other options and post-processing which keep it from being a stand-alone device and make it require the support of a full-fledged computer.

Azzart likes this.