iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

OtterBox Defender Series Case for 12.9-inch iPad Pro Review

With a base price of $799, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro needs protection, and those taking it to a jobsite or other inhospitable environment should consider the OtterBox Defender Series Case. It protects the device from drops and dust, and includes an integrated screen protector. A built-in stand and a slot to hold an Apple Pencil are bonus features of this $129.95 accessory

Read our full review:

ATIVQ likes this.
  2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

iOS 10 Will Include Apps That Display Three Panes of Information Only on iPad Pro 12.9

Apple is throwing a bone to users of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro: iOS 10 will come with versions of Mail and Notes that can display three panes of information.

Here's what the Notes app will look like:

image.jpeg

And here is Mail:

image.jpeg

To be clear, these applications will only look like this on the 12.9-inch version. Everyone else will get just two panes.It's nice to see Apple developing applications that take advantage of the extra screen real estate on this model.

Don't miss what else is changing: iOS 10 Bringing Side-by-Side Safari Browsing to iPad, Other Enhancements

3. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

regarding split window, can I use any apps or are they limited to a few?

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Only those who supports it. Which basically means all those that's been visually updated for the ipad pro.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And it seems like all popular apps are being gradually updated to support it. More and more icons in that Slide View pane.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm amazed that even in the iOS world it's possible to buy a device that gets ignored. It's been over a year since the iPad Pro 12.9" was released, and several of my favorite apps still don't support the iPad Pro screen size, meaning graphics look fuzzy and the keyboard is ginormous. It's surprising to me that developers don't seem to care. Does this mean the iPad Pro didn't sell well, or do app users not care enough to complain?

The main apps that I want updated: NYTimes, Texture, Sound-on-Sound magazine, Cubasis. The first three are text heavy apps that would look much better on native resolution. The last one is a music app with super dense UI, where added sharpness and improved UI element scaling would make a major difference.

Another thing that pencil support is also extremely slow to pick up. PDF annotation apps are still super clumsy. PDF expert requires you to first use the pen after selecting a tool, otherwise you finger inks. The refuse to (or can't?) build in an option like "never use finger for inking", because that would just be too easy. iAnnotate has been making an absolute mess of their UI, and keep finger annotating and pen annotating awkwardly separated. I can't believe that my Surface 3 has better annotation apps than iOS. What?!

Oops, this turned into a mild mannered rant. It happens.

Utan-chan, koz2050, WillAdams and 2 others like this.
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dear Apple,

When you release a product try not to name them the same. The ipad Pro should be different than the iPad Pro. I'm currently trying to buy a 12.9" iPad pro, again, on eBay but it's proving to be a very mild pain in the rear. Some people don't even list it as either one so you have to figure it out somehow.

Love, peace plus chicken grease,
    Me.
    x

P.s. Call me you sexy beast.

8. Utan-chan

Utan-chan Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like the iPad Pro 12.9 is having a Windows 10 DPI crisis lol.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Gee, I thought that was my old eyes...

10. PhysicalTherapyGuy

PhysicalTherapyGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

The iPad Pro is not seeing well. Even though Apple is collectively selling more models of the iPad than they did in 2013 (when the iPad had its highest sales numbers), Apple is selling less than half the amount of iPads they were in 2013. And most of the devices they are selling are the lower end models, not the iPad Pros. Currently Apple is making up for that with the higher margins of the iPad Pro, but that's only a temporary solution.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with higher pricing for iPads. It's just that the new models didn't add much additional value over the Air 2 models. Also, when Apple added additional value in the past, they didn't charge more for it. Apple is going to need to majorly improve the functionality of IOS 10 in order to justify the higher price. Otherwise, IOS is more constrained than MacOS and Windows 10 when it comes to productivity, and as a result can't be used as a "computer replacement" for the majority of users.

The other irony is the IOS App Store is a major advantage for Apple when it comes to consumption and game support, but at an inherent advantage when it comes to productivity apps. For starters, there aren't enough iPad Pros in the wild to justify major development of productivity apps for the iPad. In addition, I can't see companies like Adobe developing fully functional productivity suites for IOS only to pay 20 percent of their revenue to Apple. It aint gonna happen. With Windows 10, companies can obviously provide versions of their apps that can be downloaded directly from their website and keep 100 percent of the revenue.

If Apple doesn't do something about this, as Windows 10 continues to increase in adaption rate (while both Mac OS and IOS stay stagnant in terms of user growth), Windows 10 could eventually gain the advantage for consumption apps as well. In all fairness, this will only happen if Microsoft can actually succeed in the smart phone market and improve tablet sales. We'll have to see what this Surface Phone is all about.

Long story short, nobody wants to make iPad Pro apps that take advantage of the iPad Pro because there aren't enough iPad Pros to develop for, and also because the iOS App Store takes 20 percent of the revenue off the top, and finally because people are accustomed to paying $1.99 for IOS Apps, not $199.