iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If Apple was smart, they would be engaging Adobe to start supporting iPad Pro Pencil for Photoshop pressure and tilt functionality as a Cintiq like device while attached to Macs as a second monitor via Lightning connector.

As a $1000 professional art tool running iOS make no sense but as a 13" Cintiq attached Macs running all the Mac art apps makes tons of sense.

The only question is whether the Lightning connector on the bottom has the necessary bandwidth to transfer over 1GB/s of data so you don't have to compress the video displayed on the iPad Pro screen.

Vlad1214, cleft, bloodycape and 2 others like this.
  2. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a 3rd-party app called Astropad that does exactly that, with virtually zero-lag from what I've seen. I've been following their twitts for a while and it seems iPad Pro Pencil will also be on the supporting list.

*edit: somehow embedded link doesn't work http://astropad.com/ipad/

3. Shogmaster

Astropad from what I remember is pretty clever in how they transmit frame buffer, but USB 3.0 isn't enough to do 27xx x 2048 @ 24bit color without compression or only refreshing portion of the screen. Also, IIRC, there is no native pressure or tilt support for the Mac so you just end up fingerprinting with a stylus.

Apple needs to get involved to get a full use of the Pencil in order for iPad Pro to work truly like a Cintiq.

4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So as a non artist I wonder is it possible for software makers like Adobe to eventually create ios versions of their software that are as full featured as their Windows/Mac counterparts? Or will ios always present a limitation on what can be achieved with the ipad pro as a pro device?

5. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Basically, what've been missing so far a docking station :D.
    This device is too ridiculous by its own and get the 'pro' in its name.
    Dock it and voila, a cintiq like device with shortcut buttons and the capability to drive data in/out from a mac

I'm guessing that either they are still working on it or a complete fool by missing this out completely
    or they are still reluctant about this because it also capable of doing MS's continuum stuff which can eat up their own segment in mac for people who only do light stuffs (check mail, office, watch video, browsing, etc).

Yes and no.
    It is possible but would take a long arse time for processing hardcore stuffs, in other word efficiency. No matter what ipad pro is can't beat the PC computational power, this is the limitation.
    But I might be wrong, I don't know what it actually capable of. Just wait until the product is out, somebody do extenstive test on it, and we'll see its limit.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  6. Shogmaster

IMO, the limitation isn't with the hardware or the iOS itself, but rather the iOS marketplace and business model.

Adobe charges $1000 for Photoshop on Windows and OSX. And that's without a kickback to MS or Apple. It's $1000 pretty much going to Adobe.

If they make almost as or as full featured Photoshop for iOS, why would they want to sell it for the fraction of the price? Also, anything sold in iOS store, Apple will take a huge chunk out of it. Adobe has very little motivation to make a full featured Photoshop for iOS. Adobe is happy to provided half assed iOS app with Photoshop name on it for $20 and let Apple take $10, just because there is a huge volume of sales, but that's far as they will go on iOS.

thatcomicsguy, bloodycape and efjay like this.
  7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, that's an interesting perspective. Would it apply to other software makers as well? I'd imagine the sales they'd get from another blockbuster apple device would be attractive enough to offset such concerns when compared to the level of their Windows/Mac sales.
    Sent from my Lumia 1020

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

well, actually it.s 12€ a month now, I don't think there's a pay once for everything anymore as an option.
    Which is perfectly fine for me, but surely not for people used to pay 5 for everything they want.

9. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't see professional developers porting their full graphics applications to the iPad Pro because of iOS limitations. There is a huge difference between professional applications, and most of the "apps" I've used. Graphics apps on mobile devices always felt like shopping in a discounted section without much choice. I've used a wacom inutos stylus on the iPad, and yet I've always found myself going back to my Fujitsu 2-in-1 when I'm on the go. Full OS always wins for me. The iPad Pro will probably be big with people who love Apple devices, and also like to sketch sometimes. It won't be so good for people who need file management, and who work with groups of others (studio professionals).

If we forget about all the funny tech "journalists" who are praising the Apple Pencil as the best stylus ever, I think it would've been pretty great if Apple released a Macbook Pro with Apple Pencil support. I don't think they would do that though, because then they would have to directly compete with Wacom. This way they can dominate and make bank within their own market space.

10. Shogmaster

Don't make the mistake of thinking they don't want to directly compete with Wacom. iPad Pro is competing directly with Cintiq Companion, otherwise they wouldn't have made it with 13" LCD, a polling rate for pen that exceeds 200Hz of the Wacom's DTK digitizers, and added tilt sensor for the Pencil. Apple engineers were clearly aiming for the Cintiq Companion on bullet points.

And to me, this mindset make sense because the consumer that went after the CC are exactly the brand chasing sheep that would buy anything Apple throws at them. Don't be surprised if many of the CC owners switch over to iPad Pro + Apple Pencil.

cleft likes this.