iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Its amazing how they sound almost like Apple Reps. "the problems not the device or the software, its just you!"

I'll admit I'm not that knowledgeable with Procreate, but its Palm Rejection is presented as the Palm Support feature.....I do believe that can be turned off. With Palm Support disabled, does it still produce the same issues?

Given how much acclaim Procreate gets as being a phenomenal drawing app, I'm kind of surprised to hear its having issues such as these. On the other side of the mobile OS pond, the better crop of Android/Note art apps have fairly error-free palm rejection by just having an option to disable single touch on the canvas, or in some apps you can program single touch to do a variety of functions. Granted Android has had almost a 5 year head start in adjusting to proper pen support over Apple, but this is something that could and should be ironed out in short order.

On the slightly plus side, if Apple does make the Ipad Air 3 compatible with the Apple Pencil, in theory it shouldn't be as prone to palm support/gesture related issues just because there is less screen to rest your palm on.

Utan-chan, Zeelobby and DaniJoy like this.
  2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

thanks for relating your experience. Ive been trolling the procreate forums, there are quite a few threads with similar issues as me.

3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

In all fairness, they are very helpful and fast to answer. More and more people are starting to complain on the forums, so i think the issue will be taken more serious soon. it is after all a first generation product, bugs are to be expected. But these are really bad for my drawing experience.

I have tried all the palm support levels, thanks for mentioning them again. For posterities sake:

If anyone has similar issues here is what i have learned to get the least amount of glitches: the stock Palm setting is "disabled" which uses the apple pencil/ipad pro palm rejection. This setting is junk and makes the tablet beyond frustrating. then there is procreate palm rejection settings "fine" and "standard". i get the best results in "fine" mode. still glitches but far less than the default settings. it is nice that they have so many settings, but none of them come close to wacom EMR.

Also, turning finger mode to gestures only helps the pencil not registering strokes issue happen less (but still happens occasionally).

The only downsides to all these settings:
    1)no smudge with finger, which was nice, but was a main source of confusion for the ipad. i can still smudge with the tool selected
    2)loss of pan/tilt/zoom with drawing hand.
    3)less sensitive to gesture inputs.

procreate is great for must users. the elegant interface and simplicity appeals to most people. they really listen to feedback and implement good features. Its not perfect, but what software is these days?

I think a ipad air size with pencil would be a sweet mobile sketchbook!

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't think they will offer a "Pro" version of iPad Air 3 if my reasoning is correct. 8 and 10 inch form factors sell very well for Apple without the Pencil. The 13" form factor is a bit more of a challenge for their sales targets so having Pencil exclusivity is more important for iPad Pro than iPad Air 3.

5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed. It'd just be another way for Apple to justify higher profit margins. I don't think it'd be called a pro, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was an add-on, just like cellular.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. Shogmaster

But you take away the Pencil and what's the distinction between the iPad Pro and iPad Air other than the screen size? 2GB vs 4GB of RAM? It's just not enough.

The moment they add Pencil option for iPad Air 3, it make iPad Pro's "Pro" moniker that much more irrelevant.

7. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Size, speakers, full-size keyboard. I mean there's definitely differences. It's the whole reason there's multiple macbook models, Windows laptops, chromebooks, etc. It's possible they just hoped it would sell better than it did. I still think they'd at it to the air 3 in an attempt to prop up their falling iPad sales.

I mean the average consumer probably gets just as much out of the Surface 3 as they would out of the Surface Pro.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not necessarily true, The Galaxy Note Pro was just an enlarged Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. The larger screen and more powerful specs were more then sufficient for Samsung to invoke the Pro moniker. Also I don't think Apple is putting as much stock into the Pencil to make it the defining feature of the Ipad Pro. If it was such a necessary feature, I find it odd they just wouldn't ship the pencil with the Pro instead of making it a separate purchase. I mean could you imagine if Samsung launched the Galaxy Note line with the S-pen as a separate purchased accessory.....one that wasn't even widely available until a few weeks after the tablet itself.

and since the Pencil is a separate accessory, it has to muster its own sales despite its reliance on the Ipad Pro. I"m sure you heard that news article about how just last quarter Apple made just as much, if not more revenue off the Ipad Pro then Microsoft made cumulatively off the Pro 4, Book, & Surface 3.

1.4 Billion in Ipad Pro sales......but where are the sales figures of the Apple Pencil? For all we know Apple could be considering the Pencil to be a financial flop.

Just as they could easily keep it exclusive to the Pro......Apple could just as easily expand tablet compatibility for the Pencil to facilitate better sales for it as well as the Air 3.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. Shogmaster

JEBUS NO. No one fell for "Pro" moniker of Galaxy Note Pros and Tab Pros. Their only selling points were the 12.2" size (I'll bet that the 8" Galaxy Pro sales were terrible). Simple test is whether they have updated any of the Pros since their introduction. Not a single one. You can buy them heavily discounted in many places today.

$750 for those bastards were the biggest large scale rip off in Android history. Only Panasonic Android Toughpad (also Wacom EMR) and Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid out did Galaxy Pros' ridiculous pricing.

Also, there was absolutely no difference in specs between Note 10.1 2014 and the Note "Pro" 12.2. Same processor, same RAM same screen res.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

To be fair the Toughpad was built to survive a war zone, that either of the other aforementioned products can't.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Utan-chan and WillAdams like this.