iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

Ground up. The pencil has tilt and pressure sensors. The iPad screen scans the input of the pencil twice as fast as a it does for a finger so there is very little lag. It's nothing really astounding or anything. The only thing I really like is the shape of the nib. I don't know why it took so long for someone to make a conical nib that allows the user to hold a stylus any way they want, but it's a night and day difference for me. Wacom and MS nibs make me feel like I'm using an ink pen, the Apple Pencil feels like a normal pencil. I'd rather "paint" with a pencil due to the freedom of motion.

2. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well what's the name of this magical screen protector?!
    I take it the pencil still recognises light brush strokes with it?
    I wonder if there's one for the sp4? I thougt that felt too slippery, plus it didn't register my light strokes, at least in the demo unit.
    The final question is whether procreate is good for learning the general fundamentals of digital painting?

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The one I'm currently using is this one:
    http://www.phonenatic.de/tablet_acc..._protection_film_anti-glare__i509_14890_0.htm

It's great for drawing.
    Not so much for surfing the web, since the noise reduces the sharpness of the screen.
    I don't like the idea of wasting it, but today I'll take it off because I want to see the difference in terms of screen clarity after a couple days with it. I also want to experiment putting on another matte screen protector I bought back then for the Surface Pro 3 and see how that feel.

@Chard85: the pressure registered is the same, no problem with that.
    Regarding your last question, almost any painting software will do. Procreate has a good range of modern tools while still remaining particularly simple and user friendly. ;)

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

With the current Star Wars craze going on....Its not really a spoiler, given that's its quite visible in the movies poster, but I thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

deathstar pro.jpg deathstar pro.jpg

Ed Hardy likes this.
  5. Count Vertsalot

So the Dodocase is ok. It's basically just an empty book cover. I don't know how durable it would be long term. It has adjustable angles, but it doesn't stay put at all since it's just paper at the hinge unless I'm not doing something right, but there really isn't much to it. The only redeeming factor is the pencil holder, but that's just a piece of stretch nylon glued between the book cover and plastic iPad frame. I'd be super pissed if that broke with out me knowing it and I lost the pencil. I think there's a couple of magnets on the inside that is supposed to put the iPad in sleep mode when it's shut, but they don't appear to work. The most comical aspect is that they put a hole for the keyboard smart connector, but the case is too thick to even make it usable. I think it's going back.

EDIT: After using it for only about 5 minutes the glue that holds the plastic tray to the book cover is already coming undone. Avoid this case at all costs.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Azzart likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So today I had a free afternoon. I jumped on the bus and hauled two towns over to visit the only place in the Annapolis Valley with an Apple dealer's license (or whatever you need to sell the glowing bitten fruit): A cruddy box store called, "Staples". I'd heard they had the new iPad Pro on display there, and I was going to take that bad boy for a test drive!

Well, frig.

The dude in the red shirt explained apologetically that the Apple Pencil wasn't in stock yet.

So I fiddled around with the pad itself and thought, "Yeah. It's light. It's big. Nice display. I should really have called ahead. Now I'm far from home and there's not really any other reason to be out here in Box Store Land."

I bought a couple of real pencils. Mechanical ones.

When disappointed by life's ups and downs, graphite is always there. It always forgives my dalliances with seductive technology. Always welcomes me back into its loving embrace.

It would have been nice if there had also been a pad of paper worth drawing in available, but whatever.

Also...

The Surface Pro 3, (the only one of the MS line on display) was nice to noodle on. Good stylus response speed, but god, that diagonal line drawing problem..! You don't even have to draw slowly enough to call it "slow" for it to waggle all over the place.

sigh.

Utan-chan and Vlad1214 like this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

In case anyone is interested: as much as I loved the texture feeling of the screen protector, I couldn't stand the noise and consequent display reduced quality. So I'm back with the simple bare glass.
    Which in the end is more than fine if I keep the glass clear from excessive grease while drawing
    I haven't liked this much a drawing machine since when I bought the Cintiq Companion.
    Totally in love, my desk is seeing me only because I need to look at reference images sometimes.

Vlad1214 and Kumabjorn like this.
  8. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Just keep in mind, Apple doesn't recommend you use a screen protector with the Apple Pencil because it will cause additional wear to the tip.

The tip is replaceable, but I haven't seen any word yet on what the replacements will cost.

9. Count Vertsalot

I'd like to see someone come up with 3rd party tips with different levels of grip. It shouldn't be hard to do.

Vlad1214 likes this.
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's not only the Mac screen resolution, it's the iPad Pro screen resolution. neither is low enough to do native pixel display through the USB 3.0 controller onboard the iPad Pro. Ideally, that Lightening port needs to be mated to a Thunderbolt controller, not USB 3.0.

That magenta line thing is an Astropad implemented feature. Nothing to do with pixel doubling. More accurately, it's pixel quadrupling. You show the same pixel 4 times (twice in each direction of X and Y) to fill a bigger canvas with smaller resolution image. You get a chunkier image, but you avoid softening it as you do with fractional pixel scaling.