iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Sadly I don't have time to do any in depth review in these days, since I'm full of work.
    I can say I only use Procreate which is perfect for my needs, I tried some other apps: Medibang Paint despite my initial impression potentially can be good for inking, thanks to the fact it has adjustable line smoothing. Potentially, if they are able to resolve their problems with the Pencil.
    Concepts is interesting but I never have time to learn how it works and I don't know If I will ever have a use for it.
    Autodesk Graphic (ex iDraw) is as good as a vector software I could need.
    Others I don't know, I don't have much interest in experimenting.

Regarding the pen, is as good a pen I could ask for: in terms of response it's almost as good as a Cintiq, though much depends on the implementation done by the app developer.
    Still It isn't devoid of minor problems: I find it tends to be a bit unbalanced toward the back end, ergonomically isn't the best thing I kept in my hand and despite I find it plenty usable, it's still a bit too slippery on bare glass.
    In this regard, yesterday I tried a very cheap and very matte screen protector and the drawing experience changed altogether!
    I know I am a little biased because I'm very fond of Procreate and I find it to be the best drawing/painting software I used since I started drawing digitally in Photoshop 6 around fifteen years ago, but with this screen protector on it simply became the best digital drawing experience I have ever had: I've read several times people saying something like "it's almost like drawing on paper" when it comes to Cintiqs in general or the Companion in particular but I never, ever, had that feeling at all, no matter how much I like my Companion or the three displays desk setup I use for work.
    At least until yesterday.
    The excessive graininess of this screen protector makes the screen definitely less clear, but it adds a surface texture that simply works great along with the Pencil and makes it really feel like drawing on paper.
    Combine this with the best touch optimized and most responsive painting software there is, and a tablet with just the right size and weight to work comfortably wherever I am and it's easy to understand why I love it so much.
    So much I can forgive iOS and all its absurdities.

P.s.
    I may be simply lucky, but I'm not experiencing any palm rejection problems while working in Procreate.

Vlad1214 likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

It would be an appealing option for me as well, because a lot of what I use my Surface 3 for is PDF markup. For this the thinnest lightest device with good pen and palm rejection would be best. That said, I find the ease of using Drawboard + automatic OneDrive sync really great when juggling multiple devices. On my 'heavy' TPY12 I just dump all files that I might want to look at later on OneDrive, and when I pick up my Surface 3, all that stuff is right there for reading and markup. iPad apps often have Box, Dropbox, OneDrive functionality, but not as set-and-forget as on the Surface 3. What I really need is the Surface Air. :)

Utan-chan and bloodycape like this.
  3. Vlad1214

Vlad1214 Pen Pal - Newbie

Shogmaster : thanks for clarifying me that ..
    ,.. So the main ,or one of the main problems is the bandwidth.. (I dont have a makbook pro but a friend has it ,,and I can gently steal it :3 ? ) .. With all the. Mac super high "we take care of details" Why-What bandwidth are they using ? ,.. I hate to curve my enthusiasm :/
    That "pixelation doubling,.. Is that the wired crazy magenta line that appears fraction of seconds before the brush stroke ? ( in same vids. I can also see in that first fraction of second that the brush stroke or line is made .. That the stroke is like "pixelated" and the almost at instant later the brush appears like it should be ..
    If this is it .. I thought it was some apple "predictive magic :p thing " ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Vlad1214

Vlad1214 Pen Pal - Newbie

Azzart. I agree. ,procreate is an amazing art app.. I did some concept art and its pretty capable ..
    If u have the chance ,opportunity,or the interest .. Would be interesting your thoughts if you can try astropad. And photoshop on that .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Azzart

Not having a Mac myself, it's unlikely I'll be able to try Astropad anytime soon I fear. :-/

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Since it worked out so well for you maybe you should try an expensive screen protector. That might give you the optimal drawing experience.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

7. Azzart

I already tried both the clear and matte samples from Photodon: can't feel any noticeable difference from the bare glass. ;)

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. Dr. Boosh

Dr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't done extensive searching because I don't really like Apple, but can someone explain their digitizer technology? Did they build it from the ground up? How is it similar or different from let's say, Wacom AES? It's not Wacom, is it?

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's all really the same tech. Microsoft/Ntrig, Apple Pencil, and Wacom AES all use the same base ES tech. The prevalent Fishhooks at the start of a quick brush stroke prove that since it's prevalent in all three.

So instead of having a sensor board beneath the screen like Cintiqs, S-Pens, and older EMR based pens, The pens x/y coordinates are basically piggybacked from the capacitive touch screen.

However, beyond that the individual OEMs can make a lot of changes to other attributes, such Pressure Levels, initial Activation Force, Pressure Curve, polling frequency, cursor hovering range and speed, Tilt, Rotation, interchangeable friction nibs, number of side switches/pen buttons, back end eraser, etc.

10. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

Azzart, What protector did you use-?-like you I couldn't notice any difference trying it on a photon I have on another device.