iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm just waiting for this to come in the mail.

http://www.moxiware.com/products/apple-pencil-magnet

I got one of these coming too since they're so cheap.

http://www.steelconnect.co/category-s/1820.htm

Vlad1214 likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I already got it, totally rubbish. ;)
    Well, it probably does its job, but it's so cheaply made it's an offense to sell it at more than five bucks!

Utan-chan and Vlad1214 like this.
  3. Count Vertsalot

I got it free because I also ordered the stand. Now I'm scared. Does it stay on the pencil without sliding off? I also got it because I find the pencil a bit on the slippery side.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Don't know, I'm still Pencl-less at least until Monday. :-/
    The videos I saw seems to show it fits around the pencil quite decently at least.

5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Utan-chan and Vlad1214 like this.
  6. Count Vertsalot

I just don't understand why there are very few cases that have a place for one. That would solve everything.

7. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Because manufacturers can't assume that everyone that buys an IPP will buy a Pencil. So, if they make a case with a Pencil holder, and you don't have one, you may not buy the case. They are trying to appeal to the widest market possible. Once they realize that everyone buying an IPP is also buying a Pencil, they will modify their cases and re-release :)

8. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

Finally got my hands on an Apple Pencil and bought an iPad Pro to go with it, and after spending the weekend with it I'm sad to say, I'm disappointed. It's an amazing device, and the best $1000 sketchbook I've ever used, but the software just isn't there for professional comic book inking, which is what I was hoping to use it for. I couldn't find a program or decent workaround to be able to adapt it into my workflow.
    The pencil is great,the calibration is amazing and it's great to not have to look at a cursor when you're working, but it has a slippery feel on the glass compared to a nice wacom felt nib on a cintiq, and I don't think applying a protector to add some tooth would really help much (I tried phantom drawing with it on my CC2 to feel it). I have a shaky hand and every slight wobble is plain as day on that glass, but if you have a rock steady inking hand, it might not be a problem.

Because of the shaky hand, I need a program with a good stabilizer. MediBangPaint has a great one that feels really good to draw with (less laggy than the one in Manga Studio), but they also haven't quite mastered handling the Apple Pencil input yet, and you usually get a extra sized dot at the start of every stroke. Also, their file export is a mess and I couldn't export anything at the native resolutions I work at. It was able to import hi res pngs but then wouldn't export them back out. And the program crashes a lot. If they get it worked out, it's basically an iOS pared down Manga Studio--and that would be enough to get working on.

Procreate is amazing and has by far the best UI for touch that I've ever used, I wish Manga Studio would step some of their touch interface for Mac and Windows. Big problem for me is it doesn't have a brush stabilizer, and looking at their forums, it doesn't sound like it's coming anytime soon (despite a lot of people asking for it). If they would add that, it would be great to ink with. If you're painting or coloring it seems like it might be a great choice now, but I don't think you can import layered files, so the workflow between tablet and desktop is going to be clunky for a day to day workflow that needs to manage time well.

I tried out Astropad and DuetDisplay, two apps that turn your iPad into an attached extra desktop display and they both have great potential too. But Astropad has an annoying blue line that follows along with the pencil while you're making a stroke and then some pixilation as the stroke is committed, and I think that would become headache inducing after a while. It's also clunky because it doesn't extend your desktop. It has some great features for the equivalent of expresskeys, but I think anyone that says it's a legitimate replacement for a Cintiq is dreaming a bit. I liked DuetDisplay better because it does extend your desktop and shows up as a legit display in your prefs, but they haven't got pressure working with the Apple Pencil yet. When they do, it's going to be pretty great. It's already a great way to add a portable extra touch monitor to your Cintiq Companion!

The aspect ratio of the screen is perfect and it's great holding that thin lightweight device while drawing, being able to turn it like a sketchbook was awesome, you can't really do that with a Companion. MediBangPaint doesn't have finger rotation but you don't really miss it because you can do it analog--just like the old days with paper!

It's the greatest digital comic reading device ever! And the sound is great. It's weird that you can't split the keyboard like on smaller iPads. It's hard to thumb type on it in portrait mode, and the split keyboard would be a natural solution to that.

So anyway--awesome sketchbook and media device, not great for comic production yet--but all the issues are software related and hopefully developers will see the opportunity here.

If anyone disagrees and has a stabilization and file work flow solution--let me know! I'm dying for a good reason to justify keeping this thing.

Utan-chan likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I love how you went out to buy a Pencil and sort of bought the iPad Pro as an afterthought.

Balbutio ergo sum

Utan-chan likes this.
  10. Count Vertsalot

Azzart likes this.