iPad Pro 12.9 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by AveSharia, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I found that when most people use those virtual guides to make lines, the lines they used the guides on tend to stick out like a sore thumb. Everything else is a bit loose yet some lines are super crisp and rigid. Makes for uplesant visual presentation.

I developed my method to makes everything look cohesive, even though align strokes to path tools have been around over a decade and was very familiar with them (Painter).

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Oh, that makes sense. ;)

3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Got my pencil! First impressions;

Like others, I'm having a heck of a time gettin good line quality inking in procreate. Paintbrushes are much better though.

Screen is slick, but I still feel in control. Would prefer more tooth.
    The pencil itself is also slick, I wish it had grip. Wacom pens are more comfortable, Imo.

Off to paint!

4. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

Can anyone confirm if the pencil works through a screen protector (or any plastic film you have around)? I've got shaky hands and I need to add some tooth to my devices. Danijoy, have you tried MediBangPaint? Looks like the inking is good in that and they just updated it to use the Pencil.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

By chance could you also try out Art Studio, that was just updated today with Ipad Pro Support. Curious if it can hold a candle to Procreate

6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

I Will try those packages. I'm super busy right now in college, finals are coming up, might take a little while.

I got better line quality with the airbrushes, procreate has a good brush engine. Still feel pressure could be better. But it's good enough for painting.

Did a quick video review:

7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Ok I should be reading Don Quixote, but I can resist. Art studio looks really good. Allot of high end features, like masks, selections, transformations. Touch works nice. It's odd though, I can't get pressure to work. Other than that the brushes are nice, and have allot of adjustments. Can't find a way to save a selection though. I guess a mask could work like a selection. It looks like a mini photoshop at first glance. Can't say if it's better than procrate, have not spent much time in either app.

Medibang paint has paint has allot of potential. Pressure works well, except upon initial force there is a big dot. Looks like a bug. It seems like they are trying something different, I can't figure it out at first glance. No tilt ,pan, zoom. Only one ink style brush. They do have guides, but they were laggy and primitive. It might turn into something cool once it gets more refined. I imagine it might work well for someone's specific work flow, but not mine.

Utan-chan and YVerloc like this.
  8. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for this - You compared it to the Cintiq a lot, but how about a comparison with the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pen?

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It sounds like the next iteration of the iPad Pro may be the one to watch for.

Right from the get-go, we pretty much knew Apple would deliver top-notch tech; no-lag and no jaggies and a smooth as butter GUI response. They apparently did.

But there appear to be several clear areas which could stand some improvement, -not based on limits in the technology, but which are simply design decisions. Things like an eraser and some way to keep your pencil from getting lost.

That lack of a floating cursor sounds like a real issue. And the lack of real software. -Neither of which, I suspect, will be addressed by Apple. iOS has too much momentum, and it would take a lot of courage and decisive action to break pattern at this point. Maybe they'll do it, but I have my doubts. -They KNOW that's where they need to go with this kind of device class, but doing so would mean admitting they were wrong, and doing that means Apple ain't so special after all. Tough nuts. -You can make a lot of money by nurturing brand zealotry, but you can get burned by the same forces.

What does surprise me is the charging solution. Man, that looks terrible. That's NOT the "Apple Way". -These are the guys who first brought out those little magnetically attached chargers. Brilliant! So, what the heck is this? It's the exact opposite philosophy. I can envision plenty of discount broken pencils available on eBay in the future. "For Parts Not Working".

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    JoeS and Utan-chan like this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

As long as what you want to do is painting/drawing, a floating cursor isn't really needed. It sounds strange but when you do it for a while it's gets just natural. ;)

There is an adapter female to female too so you can charge it with the cable instead of attaching directly to the iPad.
    They probably understood just before shipping that it was a very bad design choice.