iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would argue the Samsung is the way better Purchase....the Apple Pencil is good, but I would still classify EMR (even S-pen) as the King still.

However the bigger issue are the devices themselves. As much as Apple tries to pass its iPad Pro's off as Laptop replacements....they really aren't. iOS still has way too many limitations.....the lack of open file system more so then anything else in my book.

Like....if you already have a good working laptop or desktop....and want an additional device that you can draw on....the iPad is perfect for that role.

But if you're looking to replace your laptop or desktop for a single device that you can also draw on....get the Notebook 9

siddhartth, JoeS, lovelaptops and 2 others like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

To this excellent comment I would add that the Pencil on the iPad is just too grating an experience of a hard (non-replaceable) nib against a slippery glass surface. It's noisy and it feels entirely unlike pen/pencil on paper. I don't know if for some reason this problem is less an issue for artists - can't see why it would be, but I am as far from an artist as one can be! - but just for writing and highlighting it is really a crappy experience. The facts that the Pencil is highly accurate, lag-free and has working tilt are, to me, entirely overshadowed by the unnatural writing experience. I don't know how much version 2 of the Pencil improves on this, nor have I tried a screen protector that provides some resistance/friction but come on, as I mentioned in another post this morning, what were the Pencil product managers in the room thinking: "yeah, it feels nothing like pen/pencil on paper, but it works perfectly so it is just what Apple is known for - products that are very well engineered, even if they are far short of what the market needs and even though we could easily offer tip options to make the writing experience more natural, that's not the 'Apple way;' we make it the way we think is just right, and never offer options!"

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

S-Pen/EMR still smokes Apple Pencil 2 just because of what Lisa calls its "buttery smoothness" on the glass. There is no other pen of any kind (and I've tried almost all of them) that matches the texture of the S-Pen nib on glass. As far as physically laying down ink on the screen, the Apple Pencil (1&2) do match the S-Pen, and tilt seems to be better on the Apple Pencils, so perhaps from a artist's perspective, the AP is better - this is where our host of artists should weigh in (my apologies for leaving anyone out of this call):
    @Azzart; @surfaceproartist; @thatcomicsguy; @stoneseeker; @MobileTechReview

soh5, wytn and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

My use case mainly revolves around pst highlighting and markups, note taking via OneNote.

I don’t know at this point, the iPP seems like a tidy little package but I’ve never tried the Apple Pencil 1 or 2. I do have a lot of experience with Wacom EMR from the Thinkpad Tablet 2, surface pro 1 and 2, Samsung ATIV 700, and most recently the Galaxy Book 10.6.

I think the Notebook 9 15” with SPen will be the better fit for my needs, I do a lot of split screen work (books, lectures on one side and OneNote on the right since I’m a righty).

Portability isn’t the biggest deal breaker because I’m at an outlet a lot but there is something to be said about the svelte-ness of the 12.9 iPad Pro. My only gripe is there is a lack of true drawing/writing angle like the surface pro provides.

djas likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Against the Notebook 9 Pro 15 I would go the iPad Pro all my life. :D

dstrauss likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@Shogmaster

maybe the nkmos airstand might be of interest to you....Though we're still waiting on our resident guinea pigs to receive them and give us their findings;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    wytn, dstrauss and soh5 like this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

My claims to the contary, Wacom EMR is still my go-to only because it is the 1st active-digitizer technology ever with proven expertise across the board in multiple vertical industries. Coupled with a true OS (Win 10) your softwares are true programs with full-functions capabilities., not apps.Everything else can be done from a smartphone. Even better, if you have a Note, the Wacom pen can be utilise inter-changeably, imho.

Good luck.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've not had the chance to really work with an Apple Pencil outside of a few minutes in a box store, but what I saw I liked.

Apple proves that a charged pen touch interface can work properly. I think it's a shame that MS didn't develop their pen tech to the point that Apple has shown it can go.

However, I really appreciate the accurate cursor and hover click Wacom's EMR offers. I also prefer a large 2-in-1 screen. And I need mature software packages. Apple falls short on all these points.

At present, considering those features plus the fact that EMR systems allow access to top tier software, I'd be cautious about recommending Apple for most pro level users. If, however, a user finds the absence of those features not to be a problem, then an iPad Pro with its excellent stylus digitizer tech looks like a solid choice.

Steve S, siddhartth and djas like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I sure wish I had the GUTS to switch to the Note - I HATE YOU APPLE AND YOUR FACETIME/iMESSAGE/iTUNES TRIO! Actually, I hate iTunes the most except for the fact I have a number of movies stuck there, and four family members who live by Apple Music...

10. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]

soh5, Azzart, djas and 1 other person like this.