iPad Pro 11 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Dec 7, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

They did add some friction - still slippery but not nearly as much - almost as good screen contact as Surface Pen. Nothing matches the S-Pen though.

The SmartKeyboard cover is the worst case of robbery I've seen since - the Surface Type Cover.

Azzart, Bishop and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

So Logitech has announced but not released yet a smart folio keyboard for the new ipads. If it's anything like the model for the previous pros it's a better built keyboard, albeit a bit heavier. It also is supposed to have backlit keys. Though it's supposed to be around $200 too.
    Regardless, I have to agree that even for apple their covers are expensive. Just the folio /smart cover (no keyboard) is $100

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  3. dstrauss

It's gouging, and that is not a term I use loosely. I'm a good little capitalist, but the way OEM's use accessories to boost profits (looking at Apple and MS), which aren't even accessories because they are essential features for utilizing the device as advertised, is pretty disgusting.

Timmy: "What is a computer?" is a total ripoff without the $179 keyboard. "Be creative" by finger painting instead of using a precise $129 "Pencil" is a lie.

And how about you Panos - Surface Pro as a laptop replacement (oops - sorry - we forgot to put the keyboard in the box - $159) - and hailing note-taking and annotations as essential elements built into Windows Inking - oops again (just like Timmy) you can finger paint or buy our $99 Pen.

Even HP has gotten into this game - the high end Elite x2 1013 2-in-1 is only a 1-in-1 until you add on the "optional" keybaord ($159)...

Good thing none of them makes cars (yet) - between the missing steering wheel and brakes we are in for an interesting driving experience...

At least you get the real deal, and it's in the retail price you pay, with Samsung and Acer.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Bishop, JoeS, dellaster and 3 others like this.
  4. desertlap

Well be careful what you wish for/rue.
    I just recently priced out the new Chevy Volt for my wife which is the full electric not hybrid car. They claim a ~$21k sticker price, but to get to a car that you actually want to drive (you know things like a radio...) you are north of $25k. Still not as pricey as a Tesla though.

5. dstrauss

That's why I got the Honda Clarity last year - federal and Texas credits worth $10,000; afraid of range anxiety I get "only" 50 miles around town on battery but up to 300 miles in hybrid mode between refills...handy when the nearest "big city" is 350 miles away...

6. desertlap

Thanks, I'll check out the Clarity too. I have heard good things about it from others as well. One very off topic question about the Clarity. Does the radio support CarPlay and/or Android Auto. My wife thinks that's a must have for next car.

7. dstrauss

Yes, supports both. It's a great car for around town, especially if commute plus errands under 50 miles per day. Very comfortable ride as well - we took mine to New Orleans a few months after I got it - about 1800 miles round trip - you do have to stop for gas every 250-275 miles because it only has a 7 gallon gas tank - but for me tat was better than looking for, and waiting on, recharges.

8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

So what is the draw of the iPP if you want a one device solution?

One thing that I find missing from your comparison is how these issues are weighted. So I accept that my SP2017/i7 doesn't have the same battery life as an iPP. But I don't need that kind of battery. The inking isn't as good as SP2, but it is good enough for the notes that I take.

So my point is given all of the great things that the iPP does, how does that fit into your use case? I get that iPP battery life is better than SG (and practically all other windows devices), but how much battery do you need?

lovelaptops and Bishop like this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

My use case has become back to back to back 2 - 3 hour meetings where typing is out of the question and outlets are scarce. It is literally my glass and aluminum legal pad.

lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

That's so perfect, I think you may want to rename this thread "Glass and Aluminum Legal Pad (that plays movies if you're bored)". Not bad for $1,000.

(Clearly, my use case always requires a good bit of typing, thus this is a zero for me.)